I beat those gremlins!

I'd not been out running since last Wednesday's rather chaotic attempt at W5r3. So I decided tonight was going to be the night. Left Daft Dog at home (with the promise of a long walk later), and went out feeling that it was very unlikely I'd manage this, having only managed one run per week for the past couple of weeks.

I decided to just take it five minutes at a time, and see what happened. The first eight were tough - uncomfortable and three of them uphill - but after that the road levelled off and I found it all felt fine. At fifteen minutes I was getting tired, but sheer stubbornness kicked in and kept me going - turns out I'm even more stubborn than the gremlins! :D

Twenty minutes. Done! Seriously felt as good as graduating! :) Roll on the next few weeks now. I can do this. I WILL do this.

6 Replies

• Amazing, well done! That run's a real hurdle and you've done it!!

• I like your spirit. Well done. It really is mind over matter sometimes. 😀

• Oh well done you, I'm going to repeat 5-2 tonight and then attempt that the weekend ! It's so reassuring hearing of people achieving it - seems impossible to me right now!

• My wk5r3 (heading into w9 now) felt like that! I'm proud of myself (of anyone, really) for getting this far but I really don't think graduation will beat that moment of knowing I can run for 20 mins without stopping... And, yes, you will do this!

• Congratulations! Isn't it an amazing feeling. This run had me with anxiety levels through the roof and it took me three attempts. I felt like I'd won the pools when I finally cracked it. Enjoy the feeling. Now you KNOW you can do it :)

• Oh, and I forgot to say that according to Runkeeper this was my 42nd fastest 1-3 mile run (out of around 240!). No wonder it felt hard! I kept telling myself to slow down, but really didn't feel as though I was going particularly quickly anyway most of the time.

The knee is a bit tender today, but I think that's to do with the couple of miles of dog-walk which happened yesterday evening after the run. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway! ;)

You may also like...