Asthma, running and me

Asthma, running and me

I've read so many blogs and just HAD to share my experiences. I'm a chronic asthmatic and have been all of my life. I've never been able to run, even at school the games teacher used to give me a lift to the end of the cross country run because I didn't have the puff. Last year, in July, I discovered the couch potato to 5km app and wow what a difference it has made to my life. I am usually struck down by a chest infection or exacerbated asthma in December, but here I am, in January and still infection free. I did graduate through the app but, because of the colder weather, I have reconvened to the gym. My breathing struggles during the colder, damp weather but I'm still running three times a week. I've had to move back to week 5 but I'm not down-hearted; running for 16 minutes still feels like a major achievement and I'm up to 4km so nearly there again :) Thanks Couch to 5km, I'm a happy soul.

16 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Great news, the programme really does improve both heart and lung fitness. I know I breathe deeply into my lungs now and my breathing is fantastic. So excited to know u have felt an improvement in health, keep it up!

• Well done! Keep on running...It doesn't matter how fast or how long you run for as long as you enjoy it and you know you've given it your all!

• Well done. I struggled with asthma during my childhood and it took a kind doctor and a fitness instructor when I was 27 to help me to realise the value of exercise and that it was ok to be out of breath from exercise and not to panic thinking I was going to have an asthma attack. Keep on running!

• That's awesome! running is so good for you, isn't it?!

• I am loving it! :) I have to recognise my limitations so when my chest starts burning or I'm coughing more then I slow it down. But it feels great :)

• What a fantastic achievement! Great news about the difference it has made to your health. Long may it continue!

• Thanks, I intend to x

• That is a really cheering read. Good for you.

• Thanks. I was always adamant I couldn't run and now I can! Woohoo :)

• Fantastic... what an inspiring post...more power to your running and to you :)

• Thanks .. I just had to write because its changed my life

• Great news about your health

They really should put C25K on the curriculum - instead of just expecting all children to be able to just run around those cross country fields off pat, I didn't have asthma but could never make it round more than about a third, that makes you think you cant run, and it took more than 30 years before I tried again.

• I was always that person who said they couldn't run because of asthma. But the app has changed everything :)

• Ahh what a lovely story, congratulations to you for trying and giving it a go, you look and sound so happy!

• I am and feel so chuffed with myself :)

• Amazing. Just goes to show how well structured the programme is.

You may also like...