First 5K

For my second post-graduation run I decided I'd run for 5k to see if I could do it and how long it would take. I managed to do it this morning but it took me 50 minutes. Oh well, it gives me something to work on. I've downloaded a zombie run app which is amazing but it isn't helping with pace. So I'm thinking I'll do 2 runs a week with the zombie app and 1 with the nhs podcast that helps with pace.

For any post-grad readers, do you still walk the first 5 mins as a warm up or is it ok to change it to a run or maybe shorten it?

8 Replies

• Congratulations on your first 5k, it's a brilliant feeling isn't it. I always, always do the 5minute warm up walk and, sometimes, I extend it to 10 minutes if I'm feeling stiff, achey or cold. Got to get the blood pumping and the heart rate up a bit before starting to run :)

• Thanks for the advice. It makes sense to keep doing it, I suppose I'm just trying to think of ways to get a better 5k time but don't want to risk an injury.

• i think 50 mins is brilliant ,

• Always always warm up. (And warm down/stretch too). 50 mins is a great start. That time will come tumbling down in no time.

• I would say to keep in a warm up and cool down walk especially for longer distances. Great that u covered 5 km, sure ur time will improve as you gain confidence. Good run 😀

• Hi, Well Done on that first 5k - brilliant. I always do a warm up/down - but only time myself while actually running - not the warm up and warm down. Your pace will naturally come down - just keep going out three times a week. Mix your runs up - I think perhaps 3 x speed/pace runs may be a little too much - how about an intentionally slow/easy longer ( 40mins or 5k ) route once a week instead of one of the zombie runs ? Sorry if I have it wrong re the zombie runs - not something I have done myself ! :)

• I nearly always do the warm up, just occasionally I run straight from the house, like this morning when Minnie Garmin had found her satellite already. I agree with Terrorrun, mix up your runs, a long one and some intervals and a shorter run is a nice mix.

My first 5K was around that time, it's great to watch it come down, I've had more PBs then someone who started out fast!

• Woop woop well done on the 5k! 3 whole miles you've run for, bet you didn't think you'd be able to do that a while back?! I usually do a short warm up walk, not normally for the full 5 mins, but don't follow my example, as I suppose I am being naughty really.

You may also like...