Both non-stop running - and run/walk for me!!

I am trying to figure out my way through a dilemma! I have launched myself into a 14 week HM programme , with the aim of running a HM using a run/walk strategy. This worked well for me last year when I trained for and completed a 14K run at an overall pace of 7;30 mins per K. I finished the run quite easily - and now think that if I can do the same over a distance of 21K, then I can say that I have made "improvement" . Distance first -- then worry about increasing pace- although 7:30 seems to be a nice comfortable pace for me over longer distances. I can get down to a smidge over 6:00 for a 5K ( average) - but at the end of that , I am just about throwing up - so that is not my aim for the end of a 21K run.

When I trained for the 14K run using a 2/1 run/walk ratio, I noticed that I seemed to slowly lose my ability to run 5K non-stop. It was a gradual thing - but I did slowly get the overall feeling that the two types of "running" were mutually incompatible. So now - I am adopting a personal policy -- from now on, I will run ALL distances up to 5K non-stop and all distances over 5K using run/walk. I have run 10K non-stop many times - both in a race and when training - but I do know that my "enjoyment" of running seems to diminish as I run non-stop over longer distances -- I do not like the "plodding" nature of it that I seem to fall into.

My dilemma is this -- and I think it will only be solved by experimentation -- what run/walk ratio will I use this time? I have noticed that Galloway is these days recommending the same ratios as per normal (ratios depending on pace) - but with shorter running periods. - So - as an example - for a pace of 7:30 per K ( 12 minute miles) he used to recommend 2/1minutes - but now recommends 60/30 seconds - same ratio but different run/walk times. In theory, one would expect this to slow you down a little - due to the increased number of starts and stops when transitioning between running and walking - but we know, that for slower runners, run/walk usually means faster paces than when running non-stop ( especially for longer distances)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Oh I share this dilemma! But I am going to try running most of the way for the 10k event next Saturday

During the past few weeks I've done a bit of different trials and I found that if I run for 1 k and then walk 30 sec- 1 minute I manage to keep a decent pace (about 8min/km) - today I run 10k most of the way (well, I have this habit of stopping when I meet someone I know and have a wee chat...) at the formidable pace of 7:42! But for my next HM I'll go back to run/walk... Keep posting on how you're doing experimenting with different intervals!

• I have found this Facebook Galloway page - for UK runners mostly facebook.com/groups/3106910...

• I can't help you on that one sorry Bazza.

You may also like...