Bit of a relief

The last few runs haven't been very good. Had to walk during 2 parkruns (even though I got a PB on one of them), and couldn't complete another on the treadmill. I was getting a bit desperate thinking I was losing any fitness I've built up. And my left hip is playing up - something I haven't had since I started running.

I think that I've been trying too hard, then running out of steam. I decided today to do a long SLOW run. I set the treadmill to a smidgeon above my c25k graduation pace and set off, watching pointless on TV. 30 mind-numbing minutes later I completed 3 miles and 5k a minute later. And though I was sweating cobs, I wasn't shattered at the end and I even sprinted a little during the last minute.

So I've been over-doing it. I'm going to do more long slow runs and hopefully start enjoying it again.

Oh, and the radioactive orange Kayanos were awesome :)

Last edited by

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well done for sticking at it rmnsuk.

I think you are on the right track, not every run should be an attempt at a PB.

• Enjoyment is such a key component, it's easy to lose sight sometimes. And I hear you on the walking during the 5k - my pb was gained with a walking interval as well. Funny how we don't expect that and maybe even unnecessarily beat ourselves up for that, even though we're doing great.

• Well done for the analysis and corrective action. I think the problem with PBs is that they are addictive. I know when I have achieved my longest/fastest run (there aren't many of them, but still) the next time I go out I feel the need to beat that time or distance again. I hope the twinges in your hip go away and that you can enjoy your running again -- and the Kayanos :)

• Well done on sticking with it. Sometimes it really is good to just slow down x

• Of my 4 last Parkruns 3 were pbs (all run walk) the one I didn't get a pb for I ran all the way !!! How does that even happen ? I think you have found the route to your own salvation. It's supposed to be fun !

You may also like...