My surprise 10k

Last weekend I spent 2 days exploring Brisbane City. On the Sat morning I got up early to go for a run. I've entered an 8k run on 10/5 so have been gradually increasing my distance and the best I had done to date was 7k. So, I took off just expecting to run that distance not anticipating what would happen. I was running a new route along the river with great views of the city. There was so much to see, that I wasn't focusing on my distance and when I checked the distance I had reached 7k.... but wasn't ready to finish. I kept on going and before I knew it I had run 8k but was nowhere near to where I started so kept on running.... and running and when I reached 9k figured that I might as well keep going as I felt good and before I knew it I reached 10k! This was so unexpected and I was so thrilled that I done 10k...... I then had a 2k walk back to the apartment but I was walking on air by then! After a shower and breakfast I spent the day with my husband walking around Brisbane and by the end of the day had done 38,000+ steps.... I am so very proud of what I have done and love that I can share this with everyone as I know you will understand exactly how I feel about this achievement.

3 Replies

• You seem to be progressing quite nicely over the past 5 months!! :) I also ran along the Brisbane River today , at the new Seventeen Mile Rocks park - only a short slow 5K as I did a fairly hard 5K yesterday at parkrun. The weather has fooled us a little this week - it seemed like Autumn had arrived for a few days - it was so nice to run early morning at only 18C. But today I had to run around noon - and it was a bit of a struggle for me - don't know what the temp was but I think it was back up to around 27C and high humidity (again!!)

have you been to a parkrun yet???

• Hi Bazza, sorry for the late response... I take my granddaughter to the Seventeen Mile Rocks park on a Monday or Tuesday, it's a fantastic park, we both love it there. One day I'll go for a run there when I'm on my own (not experienced enough to run and push a pram). Yes the weather has been fooling us, it now seems to have settled back to beautiful warm days and cooler nights and mornings. Which is good as I can now go out at 6.00 am when it's light and enjoy my run. In answer to your question about the parkrun, I did two in Feb but it was so hot I have been volunteering since then. Now the mornings are cooler I might give it a go again this Sat. I am on track for the Mother's Day Classic 8k run in two weeks, looking forward to it!

• Ha! The running gods were smiling on you today. Isn't it just great when that happens!😃

You may also like...