First bad run

Week 6, day 1. How hard was that!!!!! I expected it to be a doddle after my 20 minute run on Friday but it was a catalogue of disasters.

I hadn't run since Friday due to back pain but that was fine.

I set off too fast - thinking I was invincible after my 20 minute shuffle last week. I just managed the first five minutes. I had a stone in my shoe - digging into my right heel. My music stopped 4 minutes into my 8 minute run - I can't run without music so I walked for about 30 seconds to sort that out. I finished the 8 minute run (minus the 30 minute walk) but had to dodge through an OAP outing walking slowly, four abreast, along the canal. I struggled with my last 5 minutes - no idea why and had to stop and walk for around 20 seconds. I tied my laces too tight and the toes on my right foot felt like they belonged to someone else.

On the plus side, I did complete 4.77 k (including the warm up and cool down walks) in 48 minutes (boy, am I slow - I think it said my pace was around 9.4 km per hour).

However, ever the perfectionist I will be repeating the run on Friday and probably again on Monday. I think I was out of synch - the OCD in me dictates that I must start a week on a Monday and finish it on a Friday!

It was also a positive that Laura commented I wasnt the only person to find it hard going!

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Oh - and I forgot to put my fitbit on after my shower this morning.

Grrrr.

• Hey Debih, you're not alone struggling on week 6 - there had been a lot of comment on the board about how wk6 catches people out before I attempted it so almost expected it to be hard but was still disappointed. From what I've read I think most find it a difficult week. Hang on in there though, 'cos it gets better, you're doing brilliantly and the finish line is almost in sight :-) Can you hear us cheering you on?

• Oh yes indeed, the dreaded W6R1. Remember that one taking me completely by surprise and biting me in the backside big time!!

• That one is tough Debih! But now you are through it, you can make it to the end - it's in sight!!

• Blimey that was an obstacle ridden run! But you did it so well done.

• I too found week 6 tough, think I expected to breeze through after the big run at the end of week 5!

So much of this running lark is mental. I have always run on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays....until this week when I've had to change it about. Am finding this far more unsettling than I should.

As many people have said on this site before, any run is a good run. You kept going despite the problems, move on, and look forward to your next run.

• Yes, I have to agree it caught me out and brought me back down to earth thinking I was Mo Farrah. By the way, what's a km?

You may also like...