Marathon Training - 18 days to go!!!

Another quick update - those of you who checked in Friday - will know that Sat was my last long run -18 miles. I was very excited about it- knowing it was the last massive effort before the big day. I added to my running play list, bag packed with goodies- sweeties gels and Malt loaf. I can report the malt loaf was a great success - had two pre- slices at half way point - yummy.

I was so excited about this run - last long one and all - can't quite believe i have come this far. I was fair bouncing along - far too fast and had to keep slowing down. i also didn't realise I and put together the playlist of my life and was re-visiting old haunts. Uni days, boyfriends, sad/happy time, old marriage my kids etc. At one point in the run I realised I had tears streaming down my face (Stevie wonders - isn't she lovely - my babies!). So I had to stop and just let those feelings pass- not sad - just lifes stepping stones along the way.

During my runs I have done a lot of processing of old anxieties and worries - and I do believe I may have exorcised those demons.--It certainly feels like it. Onward cheered myself up with the stones and salsa. It was a gorgeous day and I was in a mainly happy place. Tested all the gels and what not- all good. My only problem was at 15 miles - I was just bored - I and run out of route and could not face another monotonous lap. So I chucked the towel in with plenty of energy in my legs. No aches and pains to speak off - and felt good enough. I have been reassured by many experienced runners - this will be enough for the London Marathon. But I will chuck in a HM on Friday for good measure.

So 18 days to go - my race number has come through - 35 000ish out of 55 000- blimey- an awe inspiring figure. I am much less anxious now and much of the twitter has reduced in my head. I now know where the start line is, there are plenty of loo's and hooray hooray 98.5 % of people who start- finish on the day. I am sure i will be one of them :-).

So what now- need to add to playlist - Lou reed's - Perfect day, Pulp fiction soundtrack and Talk dirty to me....just the mood I am in....

I feel so ALIVE...

Happy running folks :-)

Last edited by

34 Replies

• Lots of luck, it'll be tough, hang in there :-)

• Thanks for your good wishes Crox - much appreciated. And i will hang in there- even if I have to crawl. :-)

• Great post. You certainly sound mentally ready and we all know that's most of the battle won. The very best of luck with all of it!

• Thank you - I do feel in a very calm place. Probably - calm before the storm :-)

• That made me cry... I so get what you are saying.. I often cry and scream out all the emotional pain from my life when I run and it really helps... You are more than ready.... I'm so excited for you!!

• Thanks JJ - I knew you would get it- I really feel like I have been on some sort of pilgrimage - and lots of things make sense know. And what was important/worrying- seems less so. Just working on the next bit of the puzzle now - how to maintain what I have achieved. Probably needs another long run or two to sort that out :-)

• Wow so exciting not long really now. You sounds well and truly ready for it. I am excited for you. I know you will ace. Most of all have fun.

• Thank you - and I will try to have fun - otherwise what is the point. I have to keep reminding myself - no one is making me do this - I have chosen to do this :-)

• Gosh, that's awesome! Respect!

• Why thank you Miss W :-). I really appreciate that.

• Amazing! Sounds like you are going to be fab on the day. All the very best of luck

• Blimey I hope so - it is all a bit of self talk at the moment :-)

• Good luck, am so excited for you what a challenge!

• giggle - challenge is one word for it. But I now have it in my sights and I am very focussed. Thanks for your support Prin :-)

• Wow, lovely post, how exciting. Good luck, go off and enjoy yourself x

• Thank you for your support and good wishes

• What a brilliant post. I almost ("almost") feel like signing up for the Marathon myself! You make the path to being ready for it, sound so liberating. I love your last comment that you feel ALIVE - how wonderful.

The very best of luck for the Marathon and I am genuinely looking forward to reading your post run report!

You made me smile when you slipped in that you will run a half Marathon before the main event - to someone on week 4 just done run 2, that sounds pretty awesome in itself.

ENJOY x

• Thanks for your support and comments- really made me smile. I will be posting my years anniversary post this weekend- a long years journey on C25K.....

• PS - sry - congrats on getting to week four - best of luck with the rest of the programme - it truly has been fantastic for me - I am sure it will be for you too:-)

• This is really exciting, I've enjoyed reading your training blogs and will look forward to your report of the big day. Enjoy the tapering and especially the VLM itself. :-)

• Thanks not bad - I really can't believe I have got this far - I am so excited:-)

• Wishing you well for the London Marathon, as it sounds like you've really nailed all the training brilliantly. Superb post suzibenj. Superb.

I am reminded of a quote that I live my life by ;

"There are grown ups of 15 and kids of 50. The happiest people are those that retain a streak of childishness, to balance out the demands of maturity."

Nuff said.

• Thanks Day-Z - like it :-) :-)

• That is one fabulous post; you're just so up for this marathon and you're gonna nail it. Well done you. Go girl!!!!

• thank you so much ON - I do feel very ready - i just hope it is not misplaced optimism:-)

• How wonderful and all those miles!!! envious and admire!! Had to laugh about all the goodies! Good luck sounds like you are ready x

• thank you so much Carole - the goodies are part of the mental motivation - can only have them when i have done so many miles :-)

• I just imagined a running picnic!! lol :) Sounds like a good motivator to me

• That is just the best blog!

You have done so well to get this far, you are amazing. Very best of luck for the big day

• Thank you so much Nerdio your support and interest is greatly appreciated:-)

• well done suzybenj your almost there you go get them :)

• Thank you - as you say almost there - 17 days to go now...

• This is awesome and inspiring! Will be watching you on the telly and cheering you on :)

• Thank you for your support PSportly- I will be taking all those good wishes vibes on the day:-)

You may also like...