Couch to 5K
64,151 members97,203 posts

Marathon training

Well it’s been a while since I posted here so I thought I would do a little update

For those that don’t know me I couldn’t run at beginning of Oct and found out I’d been accepted for The London Marathon. So C25K started 8-10-17. After following the plan I graduated and whilst I still can’t run a 5k in 30 minutes I can run a 5k and more. However I have struggled to reach the 10k mark non stop.

However it’s not all bad as I finally plucked up the courage to join a park run yesterday and today I completed 8.5 miles - albeit with some small periods of walking.

I’m not the fastest runner definately a plodder rather than a sprinter but I’m not bothered about my time as long as I can start and finish the 26.2 miles on 22-4-18

I received so much encouragement from this site so thank u.

Still a way to go but I have no doubt that barring injury - which I’ve avoided thanks to the advice given in the early days.

If anyone is any doubt that they can graduate to a 5k - if I can anyone can

Believing is acheiving

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Your very brave. 10k will be my limit. I find 5K is a sufficient challenge. A half or full marathon would be way too much for me. Well done to you and I wish you every success in you quest.

1 like

You know this forum has two sister forums, Bridge to 10k and the Marathon and Race Support forum, where you will see familiar faces.

1 like

No I didn’t know about the marathon one - thank u x

That's quite some challenge you've set yourself but I'm sure that with effort and commitment and a fair wind you'll get there, keep popping in and letting us know how you're getting on

1 like

I was wondering how you were doing....steady progress by the sound of it, well done. Keep up the good work 👍😊🏃🏼

1 like

You’re getting there! Well done. And remember even at this stage you don’t have to run all the way. Run / walk is a perfectly valid way of clocking up the miles and is not quite so exhausting as non-stop running. I’ve done pretty much all my longer runs that way (longest non-stop was 12.5k). I’ve done a couple of non-stop 10ks and I do my mid-week runs (up to 7k) non-stop. But anything else is run/walk.

1 like

Thank u - I’m looking at Jeffing the marathon so I have a walk run strategy from the start. Going to practice this over the next few weeks

Congratulations on getting a place. I am never running a marathon half is my limit I think. Slow and steady for distance. I managed 10 miles on Sunday but a 6.50 pace. Good luck

1 like

You may also like...