Can your hormone levels effect your anxiety levels and symptoms ?

Hi I've been suffering from anxiety... depression for some years now but I'm wondering if my age is making me worse I'm 41 now.. anyone looked into hormone levels and anxiety? I think I'm going nuts and that every pain is terminal every car trip will end in a fatality and can't stop thinking the worst in everything i didn't used to be like this!

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Spells

Good question you ask & people will have different views on if it does or doesnt

Me personally I am now 50 & going through the change & like you have suffered years with anxiety & feel I have got worse over the last 5 years

I have read that some women do feel more anxious , during this time

I understand how you feel about health anxiety , as I suffer to , but again this has been on going with me

Have you been to your GP & asked if there is anything they can give you , maybe you are already taking something ?

If you feel its hormones , have you asked them to do a blood test , they dont always come back positive , but can show if your hormones are un balanced

Maybe you have already , just suggestions that if not you might want to try

No matter though for me if hormones are adding to my anxiety or not , I have always suffered , so its about learning to change my way of thinking , its not easy , i no , but keep coming on here & saying how you feel , it helps to talk to people that understand & lots of good suggestions from members all helps as well as knowing you are not on your own in how you feel

Welcome hun

Love

whywhy

xxx

• Mmm I definately think hormones can made anxiety worse. Not sure if they can cause it. Are you wondering whether you are menopausal? I am past it but was told before by a nurse that it doesn't cause more problems but can make existing ones worse. I found tally hat to be true. You do sound a bit young to be going through the change. Have you had any more symptons? At 40 I suddenly realised my periods for the last 6 months had been irregular. I went to see doctor and he did a blood test. He said I was pre-menopausal. I actually started at 42 with a huge hot flush. I did eventually go on HRT which was a lifesaver.

Bev x

• Hi love funny i was reading on peri menopause which some suggested on here to me and the symptoms listed was night sweats headaches nausea insomnia loads and also anxiety and panic attacks i am 37 and it said these can start late 30's early 40's there is a test you can do which i may try to see if it puts my mind at rest i suppose its the just knowing what causes it sometimes although anxiety can be caused for many many reasons love caffiene thyroids smoking drinking i suppose its just trial and error or just accepting and deeling let me know how you go and have a read on it xxxx

• Just before my period was due if something happened that was unsettling it often used to trigger the anxiety. Will be 40 next week and the last 3-4 months my periods have been a little irratic as before it was always 28 days, this week I felt anxious as as I was afew days late. Such a relief when I started as I was imagining alsorts but now my anxiety is quite bad again so I'm back to the hard work of fighting it after having had two good weeks. I thought it might be my age but thought it was a little early so nice to read that this may be the reason.

• Hi I'm new to the site and would just like to say how nice it is to hear that I am not the only one with this terrible thing called anxiety! I have been anxious off and on for many years, also my health anxiety and fear of dying has made me a nervous wreck! I also found my anxiety got worse when I started my menopause which has been dragging on for years. I also have the most awful feelings of dizziness, headaches feeling out of body and depression etc etc. So yes I would say hormones play a big part in making anxiety worse!

You may also like...