Anxiety Support

Panic attacks and other symptoms before bowel movements

I have had a strange thing happen since April of this year. A little bit before a bowel movement, I get a weird adrenaline rush, my heart rate elevates, and I get dizzy and sometimes have a panic attack. Once I have the bowel movement, my heart rate almost immediately returns to normal and I feel cooler and more relaxed. The adrenaline still floats around in my body for a while, but after is so much calmer than before. This doesn't happen with every bowel movement, only some, and usually in the middle of the night. It's not caused by anxiety, but seems to be the other way around. My impending bowel movement causes anxiety and panic. Does anyone else have this happen? If so, do you know the science behind it?

5 Replies

I was like this a month ago i think it came from my fear of getting constipated ik sound gross but anyway as soon as i sit down my heart would start beating fast i get really nervous & my leg starts to shake & i cant use it my stomach muscle tighten up i told my dr about it & she said it was bathroom anxiety for me gave me some stuff to mix in my water & it regulated my bowels & everysince it dont happen when i go thats why i said for me it was fear of being constipated hope u find a solution for yourself mention it to your GP

I have had the same symptoms from time to time just like you described. I don't know what the science is behind it. I do know that anxiety will trigger stomach issues. My anxiety will last longer but I will feel somewhat better after a bm. Evil anxiety will manafest itself in many ways

1 like

Yep agree with Gloria, I can be sitting feeling perfectly normal and from no where I am drenched in sweat, and this is way before I feel any movements inside or pain.

I in the past have had some very scary nasty experiences in the toilet area of life so my anxiety is probably enhanced.

I won't go in to detail cos I don't want to scare you further, but I hope it passes and you gain freedom from it soon.

1 like

I wish I had found this months and months ago when I was searching. I have had this for quite a while. It’s like a full bowel, mostly at night so maybe it’s the position of the pressure, brings on feelings of anxiety. Even panic. It has taken years to realize that it is a Full bowel or pending BM that triggers it. Not that panic is just relieved by a BM, nor that panic causes the BM, but perhaps the physical pressure brings on the anxiety attack. I hope if you are reading this and you share this ... sensation or reaction ... that you post and tell about your perspective. What other issues do you have that may help connect what is going on? I have read a little about the vagus nerve and wonder if that is what is causing this. Then I worry about my colon, etc. Your answer will be appreciated, friends, Thanks.

I get this, had a bad episode last night after being ok for a few months. I've had to go on a diet but still get some symptoms. I ate food I shouldn't of yesterday though which caused an extreme burning stomach at 3am then I went freezing cold, all the blood in my body seemed to be redirected to my stomach, my arms went dead and I couldn't close my hands they were that stiff. I rang an ambulance as I started wheezing and felt like my brain was starved of oxygen and I collapsed to the floor. (I have fainted with it in the past and had diarrhea at the same time) It's an horrific experience when it happens and my body is left in a stressed state and I feel sick and shaky for the rest of the day and have diarrhea about 3 or 4 times afterwards. I've had a stool test done which shows a yeast overgrowth and other bad bacteria overgrowths. I'm intolerant to cornflour and food with yeast in because of it. My immune system sees it as a foreign object and tries to flush it out my system as quickly as possible. It seems to happen when the food reaches a certain point in my digestive tract. I think it's similar to someone with celiac-disease who has a servere reaction to gluten.

I do have a couple diverticulitis pockets (not sure if the burning stomach aches caused them or constipation / gas)

That might be where the food causes the problems as the feeling always calms down then comes back a second time then calms again,not sure though.

The vagus nerve is definitely involed as well and the amount of food eaten affects how bad the reaction is, I do think gas and bloating presses on the nerve, or pushes toxins into my bloodstream causing the immune reaction.

Definitely causes the anxiety symptoms and nothing to do with what I'm thinking.

In the day if I eat something wrong my face goes red hot and can have flu symptoms afterwards.

Had muscle twitching, restless legs, heart palpitations, rosacia, and rashes on neck a year before stomach problems started and hangovers became 10 times worse.

Had scarring Alopecia for 15 years as well.

Taking natural antifungals to kill the overgrowths and going try saccharomyces boulardii as its a good yeast that's supposed to help.

Keep slowly feeling better and better but then have an episode that sets me back.

You may also like...