Anxiety and Depression Support
20,887 members18,553 posts

Never ending anxiety and intrusive thoughts

Everyone's been commenting on how happy I look. How I'm glowing. But they don't know that I have this underlying anxiety all of the time. it's constant. It never leaves me alone. I'm always on edge. This dull, but loud sense of panic. It's been bad today. I've been reading Imp of the Mind, a book about obsessive bad thoughts, and it's been triggering so many intrusive thoughts. But I don't want to hide from my intrusive thoughts anymore. I'm trying to confront them, but they're getting louder and louder. I feel like doom is approaching and I can't stop it. I'm on medication for my anxiety and it stops the panic attacks but not that underlying sense of panic I always have. And I can't increase my dose because the dose I'm on already makes me exhausted and oversleep. How do you guys manage your anxiety and intrusive thoughts (OCD? Maybe?)

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello anxietyandcats!

That’s a tough question! Everyone has their own way of calming their thoughts. For me, I redirect my negative, intrusive thoughts into positive thoughts. I may briefly entertain the intrusive thought, but then it has to go before I begin ruminating over it. If I cannot redirect my thoughts, I employ distraction to take my mind off the intrusive thoughts. Anything you enjoy doing is helpful. I believe that we ultimately have control over our thoughts, but you have to be determined to do so. I may attempt to redirect my thoughts over and over again and when I’m having great difficulty, that’s when I go to distraction. Everyone is different in what works for them. I sincerely hope you can find some peace of mind! 🙂❤️🙂

2 likes

Redirecting to positive thoughts sounds nice, I’ll try that! I tend to use distraction which does work. I know logically that we have control over our thoughts but I’m not able to control mine yet. Hopefully I learn soon. Thanks so much for all of your help 💖

1 like

It sounds like the book is triggering you. Perhaps set it aside for now. You may not be ready to tackle this yet.

It definitely does trigger me but I want to read about intrusive thoughts and not be ashamed of mine anymore. I’m just so used to pushing away my thoughts and being disturbed by them so when I read about it it has power over me. I want to be ready, but maybe I’m not

I can relate. I want to be ready to tackle the trauma I have experienced. But every single time I get worse. I hate it. Listen to your body. Healing should take work, but not be tortuous.

When my anxiety was highest I had awful intrusive thoughts. It was a nightmare. To be honest it was medication that stopped them. Within a few days of taking Zoloft I didn’t have them, same with Lexapro. I remember how bad they were, crying over the thoughts I would have. Your anxiety must be sky high right now. Maybe you can try a different medication.

2 likes

I’m on lexapro now which really helps my depression. And then I take Saphris, an antipsychotic, for my anxiety. Believe me, my anxiety is soooo much better than it used to be. My medications saved my life. I used to have panic attacks non stop all day, I couldn’t leave my room, lost all of my friends, forgot how to socialize, dissassociated all the time. It was horrible. Now it’s a constant feeling of panic but it’s manageable. And I can’t increase my dose because I’m on the highest for lexapro and the saphris already makes me exhausted. I’ll go to my psychiatrist soon and tell her the anxiety is back. Maybe I need something new. Thank you so much for responding.

1 like

Hi there, when my anxiety hits me, I am the same way. I always find a friend to do something that will keep my mind away from the dark thought. It's always a battle that we have to fight but I am sure you will win it because you are strong. Stay strong my strong strong friend, do not let it takes over you.

2 likes

Yeah I would love to hang out with friends more. Problem is the friends that live near me are busy all the time 😞. I need to get out more. But going to a DBSA meeting tomorrow so that should help. Thank you so much. Stay strong!

1 like

Thank you, just know that you have all of us here who are willing to talk to you always. Good luck and have fun with your meeting :). Take care!

You may also like...