Anxiety and Depression Support
23,845 members22,305 posts

Morning Nectar ☕️

I miss having regular coffee.

I started drinking coffee when I was maybe 6-7 years old because at the time a doctor had told me that caffeine may combat my ADHD.

Everyone who knew me knew I LOVED my coffee, it was rare to see me without (not saying I drank only that all day everyday).

Now because of my anxiety I freak out from it and because it's been so long, I get jittery which leads me to panic.

I drink decaf which back then, I swore I'd NEVER drink, yet here I am.

I get teased now since I was such a hardcore coffee addict that's reverted to drinking decaf, people understand why but still like to tease, chips my resolve a little bit.

I even had that yellow caffeine vitamin water a few months back and a few sips was enough to make me panic, in the open which made me feel worse. Luckily my boyfriend helped me through it.

Anyway, thought I'd share because I was going to attempt a sort of "half and half" coffee this morning. Half decaf, maybe a little less than half of regular, but I chickened. Don't want to freak out this early, especially since I went to bed at 4:20 am.

I miss regular coffee man.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Morning

I can totally feel your pain. My wife and I are very big coffee drinkers but with anxiety I had to stop drinking regular coffee and only drink de-caf

It’s very hard to so I do put a little regular in my coffee and every day it affects my anxiety differently

1 like

After first, two cups were my limit then it went down to one then a half.

I just find it odd how I can drink alcohol without any panic but coffee is a no no.

Makes me so sad lol

But yeah I hear you for sure!

I just don't like feeling jittery.

Other than some few feeble attempts I haven't had regular coffee in almost 2 years...

Alcohol can lead us blindly and we think we are doing fine

I celebrated my 21st birthday sober and I’m 31 now I definitely can think more clearly to deal with my issues

It really sucks not to have real coffee or alcohol but my life and family have benefited from it

2 likes

I'm very proud of you! Take a bow...you deserve it! My oldest son has the start of liver cancer & won't stop drinking, so so sad for me. Be strong as you have been!!!! Have a wonderful weekend! XXX

1 like

Well done Fishy, you are absolutely right. I don't drink alcohol or Coffee n not even much Tea these days as even that contains some Caffeine. Much better off without it. 😊🌻✌️

1 like

OH MY GOSH. I cannot tell you how happy I am to see this post. I thought I was going crazy. I have been drinking coffee (hardcore, espresso) for 35 years. 30 if those years AFTER I was diagnosed with panic disorder. Coffee has never set me off before, if anything the warmth and the smell seemed to relax me and bring it down a bit. I knew that was weird, but hey, I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Anyway, just in the last month, out of the blue, ANY caffeine (coffee, tea, diet soda, even — dear God no— chocolate) triggers a loooong lasting almost instantaneous panic attack. It’s so bad that I’ve had to switch to decaf too (which tastes pathetic in comparison to my beautiful robust espresso). Has anyone found a decent strong tasting decaf? I know that panic symptoms can change and that new ones do sometimes pop up, but this is just so wrong on so many levels.

1 like

I've been drinking Folgers decaf, mind you that was the coffee I preferred before I had to switch.

It's weird I can still drink tea no problem and have chocolate (mind you I enjoy dark chocolate, the darker the better) to actually help with my attacks. I was never really a fan of pop unless there was booze in it lol (I hate fizzy) but I'm regards to decaf, try different brands until you find one that's bearable. But I agree, it's still not the same, I joke calling it dirt water aha but it's the closest to coffee that I'm gonna get right not. Hope that changes somewhere down the road and I can go back to regular coffee again someday

1 like

Look up the company “black rifle coffee Company” they make great decaf

2 likes

Sanka???

1 like

Best off without the Caffeine though gilded. Far too stimulating, for us Anxty types. 😊🌻✌️

1 like

You may also like...