Anxiety and Depression Support
22,883 members20,988 posts

Work Difficulties

So I am a nanny and work has its moments of being stressful af and equally enjoyable. But today a little situation happened where a kid came over to the house I nanny for after playing with my “child”, and her parents didn’t know. They were playing together for a while outside where we could see them but we both had smaller children to watch as well so there was no communication between us as we were both occupied a little. I mistakenly thought she told her parents she would be over, but she didn’t and I’m left looking like a irresponsible adult who didn’t make sure! 😩 this happened hours ago and I still can’t get over it. I want to chalk it up as a miscommunication but I can’t help but think that I should’ve known better! 😓(I hope this situation makes sense)

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes. In a nutshell. I could’ve explained it like that too

I just felt that I should’ve made sure. I just assumed they would be as responsible as the kids I watch to ask and make sure themselves. But overthinking is also my specialty.

Thank you. This job takes it toll on my a lot and things like this only add an extra layer of stress.

The “shoulds and oughts” of obligation or expectations are a really big cause of extreme negative emotions. State only the facts about what happened, and you will be fine with the lesson that you may have learned.

1 like

That is really good advice gerg. Thank you!

Some of us are experts in upsetting ourselves. We tell ourselves a story that is more drama than fact. With this we are doing ourselves and those around us no good. I like to ask myself “why that story”? It is fiction so I may as well tell myself a story that serves me better.

I’m glad I could help...

1 like

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I don't see how anything you described makes you look irresponsible. As long as you kept an eye on both children outside (and you said you did), I don't see anything that you did wrong. If the other kid snuck off to play without telling his or her parents, how is that your problem? Your job was to supervise them, and you did.

2 likes

You’re absolutely right. I just take everything to heart a little bit with this job cause they are children. But the child I was watching is my responsibility and they were okay. Her parents figured where she was and wasn’t upset about it so I guess I shouldn’t be either, and she didn’t blame me. But thank you. I just like getting these things out cause if I didn’t I probably wouldn’t worried about it all week

You may also like...