New Here- Optimisic To Finally Have Help

I just found this. I have had major general anxiety disorder and depression for most of my 61 years. I also have been battling substance abuse with prescription drugs for 25 years. I am by myself, again out of a job and looking, have very few friends, and family far away. I am the only one in my family who has all these problems. I am reaching out for advice, help, and friendships as my life up to the point I feel has been a failure. I am at a turning point. I welcome your help!

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I've been dealing with my issues all my life as well. No one in my family understands. I don't really have any friends. I, too, found this in hopes to find someone who understands. You are definitely not alone in this. And you're not a failure. The fact that you keep trying to live each day despite this, proves you're not. I'm here if you ever want to talk.

• Thank you very much,

• If you want, you can have my email: mrsmamapanda@gmail.com ... I check it often, if you ever want to talk. About anything. It helps knowing that there's others who feel the same.

• Amazing! I'm 60 and also have GAD, depression plus, but I have close family and am down to 1 friend. I have plenty of acquaintances, but not real friends. And most people don't know I have the mental illnesses. I don't see any reason to tell them. I don't have to work and my sympathy is with you trying to find a job right now, lol it's not easy!! My memory is shot due to the benzos for 29 years. How did you manage your GAD?

• Hi, I still have it. I also have major social anxiety. I have spent or used most of my retirement from loosing so many jobs. I also did benzo's for 25. -30 years. My memory is shot as well. I have decided to try and find a different job and industry that is not so stressful and not make much money but hopefully maintain my sobriety. I am feeling kinda of hopeless- not really sure who to listen to - the aa pp, family, therapists- kind of list. Thanks for talking to me.

• YOU are not a failure. I have been through some of these same issues. Sorry that you are out of a job. What is your field? We do not get a report card in life as my counselor says.

• Hi, thank you, I was in sales, but I want to do something different because I am an introvert and it is all extroverts. I kind of disagree very much with your counselor. I am constantly thinking at 61 years old have I lived a good life and if I died today how would I feel. I also ask myself the question when I die what do I want my legacy to be? The answer to the first question for me is not good. Thoughts?

• Hey, based on one situation ( which I ruminate about) I also tend to ruminate and feel guilt. Ask yourself this: ( and believe me I KNOW it is hard) Am I doing any good by downing myself, and is everybody perfect? Perhaps you can help others who have been through something similar. I know that when we are older we tend to look backwards. I will bet you can find something good about yourself. Anyway, it's good to vent, and I am here and can relate. You can write to gogogirl on this site and even keep something private.

• Sit down and write your obituary. I know this sounds morbid, but it will let you see where you are and what you want to be. I did this in a money management class and it really opened my eyes as to where I was and where I want to be. Helped me so muc. God bless!!

• Good idea for today- thank you

You may also like...