Log in
Thyroid UK
93,688 members107,704 posts



I have had underachieve thyroid for 17 years. My GP only tests my TSH NOTHING else. I am now menopausal and my flushes are horrendous! I do not want to take HRT on top of my levothyroxine. On top of this I have been told I am oestrogen dominant. Can anybody recommend a progesterone cream I could use. I am taking sage but this has not helped my flushes at all. I'm now feeling very desperate.

2 Replies

Poor you, it must be a real struggle. Swanson do a natural progesterone cream. However, I'd always recommend getting guidance from a healthcare practitioner before administering any exogenous hormones, because the balance of hormones are so easily disrupted, it can be easy to create more imbalance if you're not really that sure which hormones need rebalancing. Just speaking from personal experience.

1 like

Can you get your GP or another GP to do any other thyroid tests? At the very least you need TSH, free T4 and free T3, plus ferritin, folate, B12 and vitamin D. Otherwise you can get fingerprick tests to do at home from Blue Horizon or Medichecks. You'll find details of these on the Thyroid UK website at thyroiduk.org/tuk/testing/p...

If you haven't already looked at it you'll find the Thyroid UK website very useful.

From my own experience it's important to get vitamin and minerals tested. When I was menopausal nobody mentioned thyroid problems. I tried HRT but it disagreed with me. It was before we had google so I raided my local library and saw that the Women's Nutritional Advisory Service (WNAS) were mentioned several times. I went to them and their doctor advised various supplements and dietary changes. This made a tremendous difference. Even my sceptical husband thanked them for making me better.

WNAS don't exist any more. A good nutritionist should be able to help you. Try the website for BANT, the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy. They have a page for you to find a practitioner near you.



You may also like...