Update on t3 and some vit D advice please

Feeling fab on my T3!! Nearly 2 weeks in and my brain is less foggy, I have more energy and don't hurt as much. Not sure if I should start increasing slightly or not, I'm on 12.5mg?

I've had my test results back for my Vitamin D level and other vits and they are as follows:-

25-hydroxy vitamin d total 42.83 (>50)

Iron 14.1 (6.6-26)

Vitamin b12 543 (191-663)

Folate 8.7 (3.9-26.8)

Ferritin 74.29 (15-150)

Tsh <0.01 (0.3-5.5)

Free t4 21.7 (12-22)

Free t3 4.9 (3.1-6.8)

I'm taking vitamin b12 and a multivitamin that contains 400mg folic acid, 14mg iron and 10mg vitamin D but don't know if the vitamin D one is high enough to bring me up to the 150 level the doctor wants me to be.

Any ideas?

Skip

Featured Content

Living with a thyroid disease?

Connect with people like you to get support, advice and tips towards improving your health.

Get started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Scottishkitty,

If you're feeling fab on 12.5mcg T3 you don't need to increase dose. If FT3 was 4.9 prior to taking T3 12.5mcg is likely to take it to top of the range. I would hold at 12.5mcg for 6-8 weeks and check FT3 level before increasing further.

VitD 42.83 is insufficient. I would supplement 5,000iu D3 daily for 6 weeks and then reduce to 5,000iu alternate days and retest in August. There is only 400iu in 10mcg in your multi vit.

• Thank you clutter, as always a minefield of information xx

• Hey Kitty,

Were you just on Levo before getting (what i presume is) a private test done?

• Yes mark, I was on 175mg levo and have now moved down to 100mg with 12.5 T3 after having a consultation with a private endo in Derby who prescribed the T3

• Oh that's very interesting then, that's the same levo dosage I'm on currently

• Blood tests were done by my NHS endo

• can I ask what symptoms you were getting when on 175mg of levo that made you think something else was wrong?

• I basically felt like I did when I was first diagnosed... brain fog, no energy, hurting all over my body etc I would always feel great the first few weeks that my dose was upped but then went downhill from there. Endo at the hospital that I was seeing couldn't explain it and when I last saw her and my free T4 was at 30 she downed my dose from 175mg to 100mg... I felt absolutely horrific for that next week which was when I decided to go private. He immediately told me that I wasn't converting t4 to t3 enough and advised me take 125mg Levo as thats where my previous blood results were optimal and gave me a prescription for T3 which he advised me to use my contacts in Cyprus to get filled there as it is loads cheaper. He also told e what levels to aim for as well as optimal levels for my vit d, iron, ferritin, folate and vit d12 with a guideline of what supplements and dosage to take to get there. Within a week I could feel a massive improvement! Best £250 I have ever spent in my life

• £250? What was that for?

• One hour consultation with the private endocrinologist

• Could you PM me with the details of your private doctor? Thank you

• Scottishkitty, so glad you are feeling better! Could you pm me the name of your private endocrinologist please? Although I feel confident to 'go it alone' my 3 daughters need support! Thankyou in advance!

• I would. E very interested to know about your supplier in Cyprus and how to order it. I am going to see a private consultant soon and am expecting to go back on T3 having had it removed after many years Ann Simpson

• I've got family that live in Cyprus. I've emailed them a copy of my prescription and they will take it to a pharmacy then post it to me x

• Scottishkitty- delighted you found such a sympathetic endo. He sounds brilliant. Could you please PM me his details? Thank you!

• Brilliant that you've had such success. Could you private message me the Endo's details please? Thanks 😀

You may also like...