Post thyroidectomy blood test results

Hi,I'm new here and am just wandering whether anyone can tell me if this is okay.... following surgery 3 months ago, my 1st blood test results show below range TSH level (below low reference limit), Free T4 21pmol/L and Free triiodothyronine level (is this T3?)

I feel mostly fine, headache most morning which clears, bit of surging going on when I finally sit down in the evening, I'm on 200mcg alternating 159mcg levothyroxine

i would appreciate any advice etc..

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Karasy2,

Can you post the results and the lab ref ranges (the figures in brackets after your results).

Free triiodothyronine is Free T3 (FT3).

• Serum TSH below low ref <0.01 mu/l

Serum free T4 21 pmol/L (8.0 - 21)

Serum free triiodothyronine (XaERq) above range 6.8pmol/L (3.8 - 6.0)

• Karasy2,

TSH is suppressed and FT4 top of range but FT3 is over range so you are over medicated. I would reduce dose by 25mcg which should be enough for FT3 to drop <6.0.

• Ok thanks I did wonder, its just that I don't want to put on anymore weight, seems crazy as I'm vegan but it does seem to be going up whatever I do! guess i shall just have to increase the gym :(

• Karasy2,

Being over medicated can make you gain weight too.

thyroid.about.com/od/thyroi...

• Hi karasy2

Being vegan (as I am) is no guarantee that you will lose weight. Try and reduce carbs, especially grains like wheat (substituting with buckwheat and quinoa). Also reduce all forms of sugar and high GI fruits/veg. As much as possible consume only the good fats (coconut, flax, olive oil and avocados).

For more info take a look at vivahealth.org.uk.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Pete

• Hi Pete

I am actually gluten free and do avoid sugary foods etc as much as poss. I do feel that post thyroidectomy my weight has increased despite keeping up all activity work etc. It must be an effect on metabolism, I was symptomatic hypocalaemic post-op so took a lot of calcium for several weeks..perhaps this is still having an effect too.

I am subscribed to Viva health too which is a great help.

Thanks for your comments, nice to know there's people out there trying to help :)

• Oh I hadn't realised that, thanks I will have a good read! Thanks for your help too :)

You may also like...