latest blood test results

Hi everyone...I have just had my latest blood tests back ( this time i also asked for Thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobin to rule out autoimmune disease ) The GP's receptionist said they are all 'normal', remaining borderline. Please could anyone interpret the results below for me and offer any advice of next steps, while waiting for another re-test in 6 months. Don't understand it all so will write results as they appear. Thanks, and wishing you all good health.

Se thyroid peroxidase Ab conc ( NWJ2365) <5.0 iu/ml 0.00 - 35.00iu/ml

2. Normal result, No action

Immunology - (NWJ2365) - 2. Normal Result, No action

Note : Amended reference ranges apply to some immunology tests

Thyroid function test. laboratory advise remains borderline and rpt in 6 months - antibodies still awaited

Serum free T4 level 4.83 mIU/L 0.30 - 3.94 mIU/L

Serum free T4 level 12.2 pmol/L 12.30 - 20.20pmol/L

Serum free T3 level 3.9 pmol/L 3.70 - 6.70pmol/L

6 Replies

  • You have mixed up your results - should the 'Serum free T4 level 4.83 mIU/L 0.30 - 3.94 mIU/L' be your TSH result? If so, then your TSH is high and FT4 & FT3 low. I have just looked on your profile and 5 months ago your results for TSH and FT4 were similar. In my non medical opinion you are hypothyroid.

  • Hi Rebekah40..thanks for your reply. I don't think I mixed anything up as I just wrote exactly what the results were on the printouts?

  • Joell, Subclinical hypothyroidism is diagnosed when TSH is between 3.94 and 10 with FT4 and FT3 within range. Your FT4 12.2 is below range (12.3-20.20) so you are hypothyroid and should be on Levothyroxine treatment. Your FT3 3.9 is low in range but is likely to drop as you will be unable to convert from low T4. Your TSH 4.83 is above the top of your lab's range which normally triggers treatment even when FT4 is higher in range.

    Thyroid peroxidase antibodies under 5 mean you are negative for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) as a cause of hypothyroidism.

    I suggest you see another doctor at your practise for a second opinion and ask for a trial of Levothyroxine. If necessary, see every GP in your practice or consider changing practice.

  • Hi Clutter...thanks for your help and knowledge. I am on the 2nd GP in this practice now because the first was trying to fob me off,cancelling this latest blood test. ( I had to see this 2nd GP to request for it to be re-booked ). I will make an appointment and take a print out of your replies in the hope of getting a levo trial or a referral to an Endo. It's so hard to understand, and fight with GP for treatment when I don't know what I am talking about. In your experience, what would happen if they don't agree to give me Levo and my tests keep remaining 'borderline. What can I do to help myself if they refuse treatment..would it just be to carry on with the vitamins you have recommended, go gluten free and hope for the best that I don't get worse?

  • Joell, As I said, see every doctor at your practice until you do get treatment and. You could also put your request and reasons in writing and ask for the letter to be included in your medical records. If you are still refused it would be wise to change practices. If you have to wait until TSH is >10 it may take a very long time and in the meantime your symptoms will be getting worse.

  • Ok , thanks so much Clutter. I'll let you know how I get on.

You may also like...