Bloods 6 weeks after NDT

I am on Thyroid S, currently 1.75 grains a day, at the time of this test I was on 1.5 grains, GP said to remain on that as I may go hyper. I was on 75 levo before NDT.

I am feeling better in general but sometimes still achey after sitting at night.

I am uncertain whether to still increase to 2 grains and then hold as many advise, thoughts on these results please.

Serum folate level 7.6 ug/L [4.6 - 18.7]

Serum ferritin level 135 ug/L [30.0 - 400.0]

Serum vitamin B12 level 577 ng/L [197.0 - 771.0]

Serum TSH level 0.39 mIU/L [0.27 - 4.2]

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I'd increase until I felt relief of symptoms and I'd take little notice of blood tests. If we take a bit too much we'd have unpleasant symptoms and reduce automatically.

I much prefer this method of treating patients:-

web.archive.org/web/2010103...

(I am not medically qualified and am hypothyroid but well on T3 only).

• You can't really use those results to help you, I'm afraid. But it's very unlikely you'd go hyper on 2 grains and if you did, you'd know by how you felt. If you feel you need to raise again, try it and see. You can always drop back down again.

• GB,

How long have you been medicating NDT ? ? ...

Folate and ferratin too low and may impair NDT affects on thyroid hormone synthesis. . PA advises Vit B12 up to 1000mcg.

TSH may be lower due to the pituitary gland sensing medicated T3 (in NDT ) and reducing secretion.

• Just 8 weeks so far. I take b12, should I take iron?

• I would say your iron is OK, but you need more B12. It should be 800-1000, ideally.

Not medically qualified, yada yada ...

You may also like...