Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen - Sheenah's Hubby Blood Test Results - Opinions please!!

We badgered the Doc for blood tests because he has been having these strange funny turns and has been on Erfa 180mgs for about 6 weeks. The Doc says he is over medicated now - what do you think?

Current Test - 16/7/14

TSH - 0.01 - in a range of 0.34 - 5.60 (low)

T3 8.4 - in a range of 3.80 - 6.00 (high)

T4 20.8 in a range of 7.9 - 20.0 (High)

Previous test 26/3/14

TSH - 2.53 in a range of 0.27 - 4.2

T3 - 4.3 in a range of 3.1 - 6.8

T4 - 14.0 in a a range of 12.0 - 22.0

Anti bodies reduced since first test.

His Vit B12 has increased - previous test:-

Active B12 (2/7/14) 59 in a range of 25.1 - 165.0

Current 403 in a range of 120.00 - 625.00 -( he has been supplementing)

But his Red Blood cell count was below range (24/2/14)

4.46 in a range of 4.60 - 6.50

And is now even lower - 4.37 in a range of 4.60 - 6.50.

What does this imply?

His ferritin is above range - 464 - in a range of 24.00 - 336.00

- ECG Fine.

Your opinions would be most welcome!!

Sheenah xx

6 Replies

• Sheenah,

I agree that hubby is overmedicated. FT3 should be toward the top of range but not over. I'd skip NDT for a few days and then cut back to 2 or 2.25 grains and raise to 2.5 grains if/when hypo symptoms return.

I don't know what low RBC and high ferritin signify.

• I have been researching and low blood count signifies anemia xx

• Sheenah, Check with your GP before supplementing iron because of the high ferritin. My ferritin was very high in November when I was very ill and I kinda assumed that it was related to bodily stress and inflammation but I didn't follow up on it so I can't be sure.

• OK xx

• Blood tests mean very little as they are taken in isolation, (I mean with no reference to how the patient feels or any physical examination) Was the Erfa a direct swap from levo? I mean did he take the equivalent Erfa rather than build up? Many people do a direct swap because their doctor tells them to and the T hormones are too much all in one go!! Not harmful but not balanced either!!

• Hi Glynis,

No he has always taken Erfa (only for a few months) he built it up gradually to 180mgs - he feels good - not falling asleep any more, more energy, more alert - the only thing now is these damn dizzy spells which may be anemia according to his RBC - he is 65 - never been to a Doc until recently, ex- marathon runner - he is on 10mg of Citalopram.

You may also like...