Vulvodynia - itching symptoms

Hi everyone!

Last July, after my first ever yeast infection, I think a few wires got crossed, and I've had chronic itching ever since. After seeing about 15 doctors, it's been determined this is definitely a case of vulvodynia (as nothing else could be found, and I do have a history of lower back fractures). It's been determined the vulvodynia has been caused by lack or hormones and a pre-existing tailbone injury. The majority of my searches have documented experiences of pain, but I'm wondering if anyone out there experiences their "pain" as non-stop itching. I've had every test in the book done (including suspected lyme), and everythign is negative. I am working with a great team of pelvic floor therapists, and monitoring hormone levels (testosterone and estrogen were in the garbage), but have you found anything else that has helped? I also have a tiny tarlov cyst that was found on my spinal cord. Currently that has been ruled out as causing my symptoms.

Last edited by

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi, it could be hormonal, maybe you should get a gynaecologist to run a series of hormone checks and see if hormone replacement or what ever is advised by the Gynaecologist. All the best. XX

• Hi there, just wondering if you have seen a dermatologist? In case it is a skin condition?

• I was diagnosed with vulvodynia in Nov 15 a year after my second child was born. I had countless bouts of thrush and treatment while I was pregnant but the itchy irritated feeling never went away but only on the left side, even though swabs were clear I also have a lot of pain that side where I'd had an episiotomy with my first child and then tore with my second. It drove me insane. I was prescribed amytriptilne, pregablin and lidocaine gel but they didn't help me. I'd seen something called Multigyn (previously biofem) Actigel keep being mentioned while googling in desperation and for a tenner I thought it be worth a try. I got some before Christmas and I'm so pleased I did. I was using it on and off for about of month and the itchy sore feeling has gone. If I get a feeling like its starting again I just use the gel for a couple of days. The horrible sore itching is no longer a symptom. I've have just been diagnosed with endometriosis on my ovaries and bowel which I think causes my other problems and I did have 2 polyps removed at the time. Whether that contributed to the itchy sore problems I don't know but the gel definitely helped me. Sorry you are suffering. X

• I used to have itching when coming off amitriptyline ...I used vagisil cream, it has zinc oxide and lidocaine 2% ..saved my life... it's most likely the nerves causing itchiness..it went away quickly for me

• I also experience horrible unbearable itching in my vagina as a symptom of vulvodynia. I haven't figured out how to fix it. It is the most maddening torture. You have my deepest empathy and you are not going through this alone. I know how this feels. I am 41. The only things that have helped me so far are a concoction made for me by a compounding pharmacy, tons of anti-inflammatories, and icing my privates. I would take more sitz baths but I'm recovering from a biopsy right now. I am trying a low oxalate diet and I have been doing it for about five days. I haven't noticed a difference yet, but I need to put in more time. I definitely understand what you're going through. The only relief I get from the itching is when I'm asleep. And it takes a heck of a lot of amitryptiline and gabapentin to make sleep happen.

I thought too I had a yeast infection about five weeks ago, But it wasn't that. Then I was prescribed a topical steroid, which worked for a week and then stopped. My OB/GYN thought I looked just fine down there, another one could see irritation below the surface in the microscope. She thinks that the itching is neuropathic. I hate to say it, but I agree.

Kate

You may also like...