Betaine hcl

Hi, I don't seem to be absorbing B12 and I get very bloated and I seemed to have become lactose intolerant. So I did the sodium bicarbonate test to check for low stomach acid and I didn't burp at all.

I tried taking Betaine hcl with Pepsin. I started with a small dose and gradually increased it. I haven't had any burning sensations as if I have too much acid, but it hasn't helped either, in fact it has made me more bloated and nauseous.

Anyone else had this problem?

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • When are you taking the capsules? I take anything from 1 to 3 depending on the size of the meal (morning toast - 1; evening curry - 3). I take them about 1/4 of the way into the meal, not on an empty stomach.

• I do the same, different amounts according to the size of the meal. I was taking them after a few mouthfuls, maybe I should take them a little later.

• I started using betaine with pepsin a couple of weeks ago after reading one of fbirders posts. I have been milk and soy intolerant for over 3 years and had to do an exclusion diet (on my own) to find out what the problem was. Upon eating any dairy or soy, I blew up as though I was 8 months pregnant in a matter of minutes and the bloating didn't subside for 2-3 weeks. I came to the conclusion it was a protein issue rather than a sugar problem (lactose is milk sugar) when I found out I couldn't eat soy either. I haven't tried eating any milk products since taking the betaine, I've been fine. I do plan to attempt something milky in the next couple of weeks to see if the bloating occurs but at that point, I will take more than one capsule.

Good luck, it seems its all about trial and error until you find whats right for you.

• I didn't have any success with HCL....one doc said no pill is ever going to work for me, injectible, topical, liquid only.

By any chance, has anyone heard of a link between thyroid med's and PA?

I developed a heart condition Svt as well.

Frustrated!