Newbie to this Form: Help Please?

I've M.E./Fibro ~ and I've spasms and cramps, nothing new ~ apart from the massive spasms which I have in my spine, between my shoulder blades which has progressive become worse to the point of totally intolerable...

I'm on Lyrica for trigeminal Neuralgia (face) and that's fine unless I miss a dose (100mg x 3 times a day) and I have Pethidine 50mg which doesn't stop the spine pain either.

I have pretty dire sensitivities to pain killers, which is why I'm looking for help to control the spine spasms:

Off the top of my head, I'm allergic to Co-codamol and most morphine based painkillers; Amitriptyline makes me feel suicidal; I had a relatively good antidepressant (Lofepramine) which helped, but the smaller company was bought out by a larger company who then produced their own version to which I was highly intolerant and there were other versions of Lofepramine on offer, I'd I couldn't tolerate them either ~ the intolerance is that they cause bad pains in my joints and I don't normally have any Arthritic joint pain). I can't do Tramadol (made me so throw-up sick).

My Doc and I have run out of the type of anti-depressants I can take for muscle relaxation (too many side-effects) and I'm searching around and can't find a muscle relaxant.

I can't do any of the steroidal medications.

Anyone any ideas at all or suggestions of medications I can try, as the pain is driving me 'nuts'!

Advice gratefully received, with thanks. Barbara :)

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Barbara..I am so sorry that you have such pain. Me too, although I have adhesive Arachnoiditis, caused by epidural steroid injections in spine. Like you, I am allergic to a lot of Meds. Have you tried any of these....Soma, which is a combo of painkiller/muscle relaxant, or meclizine (used for dizziness, which a lot of doctors say won't work for muscle relaxant, but if you look up on the Internet it says it is the only type of anti-dizziness med that acts like a muscle relaxant, and it works for me. Also, I take magnesium 2x/day. Have you tried any topical creams or patches? How about Flezeeil, which is a muscle relaxant?

Kris

• Hi Kris ~ and many thanks for your reply. I'm in the UK, do I take it that you're outside of the EU..? Soma /Cansoporodol isn't prescribed in the UK, unfortunately! :( . Nothing at all shows up for "Flezeeil"?

B x

• Yes, I am in the U.S. Sorry, I meant to type Flexeril.

• I'm sorry you are in so much pain. Has your gp tried referring your case to the medicines department at your local hospital? Have you also tried a Pain Clinic in hospital? In both cases the knowledge of medicines is much more extensive and some one might be able to help.

I take a prescribed supplement of calcium and vitamin D in a chewable tablets, it sounds so simple but has really helped with Fibro cramps. Some recent research has found a link between lack of vitamin D and Fibro.

Best wishes and I hope you not an get out to enjoy the sunshine this weekend. 🙂

Blog: soloambition.wordpress.com

• Hi fedupandfearful ~ I'm very limited, through chronic problems with 'sensitivities' to meds and foods, so am only on the meds I can tolerate. I know when a med is no longer helping me ... and I drop it, or when a med is causing me problems ... and I drop it and have horrible problems trying to find a replacement, my 'nearest' Hospital is approx 75 mins drive (by Ambulance) to get to. I never leave my Docs, or a Hospital, without taking home an infection I didn't have when I went in there. :( My immune system is more than a bit shattered!

I've had M.E./Fibro for 29 years, so am largely housebound apart from going to my Docs, and am mainly bed-bound as that's about the only place I can get at least a bit of relief from pain.

Re a pain Clinic ~ the only thing I ever found that helped me was the "Bowen Technique" (when I lived near the Practitioner) and you're not supposed to travel far after that, and where I live now, that's particularly not possible now, as I have to travel over over bone-rattling roads, for approx 75 minutes, to get home! lol (Don't know why I'm laughing ~ perhaps better to do that than cry!) ...

I've bought the purest (sadly most expensive) Calcium, as I can't tolerate prescribed NHS Calcium, and I'm on Vitamin D injections (get blinding headaches from the 'carrier' of the vitamin D injection) ~ and quite frankly have felt no benefit on either of them.

I know you mean very well by your suggestions, and I do appreciate your intentions are very well meant, and my thanks for that!

Do have a lovely weekend ~ Blessings, Barbara x

You may also like...