Hi I'm a 33, mum to 3.
I had a ultrasound back in July due to constant excessive bleeding and they found that my right ovary was enlarged.
I was given an emergancy gynae appointment a few days later which unfortunately for me was a waste of time. The consultant sat for 20 mins telling me about my ovarian cyst (which I knew I didn't have) and just as I was about to leave the room realised he was looking at someone else's results!!!
Still he felt that there was nothing to worry about, scheduled me an appointment for a review on 2nd December and sent me packing with some birth control to 'help' with the bleeding.
I left very peed off that I had no answers to why I was bleeding so badly, why my ovary was enlarged and why they felt the need to rush me in for nothing!!!
I spent the next several weeks going backwards and forwards to my GP with pain and concerned about the bleeding. He just kept giving me more and more medication and said he would try and move my appointment closer.
A few days after my last trip to him I received a letter from the hospital to say that the Radiologist had been very unhappy that I was being left and was insisting I have another ultrasound and should they get no indication from that why the ovary was enlarged I would then require an MRI.
I had the ultrasound at the beginning of October. The ovary had increased in size and was then measuring around 9cmx8cmx6cm and they said it had hetregenous echo texture ? Also my endometrium was thickened to 17mm and I had been bleeding for 6 weeks at that point so there was concern with that.
I see the consultant a few days after my ultrasound. He couldn't give me any ideas as to what/wasn't causing to problems just kept repeating that it won't be anything serious as I was 'too young' and I asked it the 2 were linked he said no that they were 2 separate problems but there was a very rare type of tumour/cyst which can cause the bleeding but I won't have that as its too rare and again I'm too young!!
Sent me away telling me to go to my GP to get a coil fitted and said he would try and speed up my MRI.
I went to my GP to discuss having the Mirena put in and he was shocked, point blank refused to put one in until we had got to the bottom of the problem and also said he couldn't understand why the consultant would even suggest that as I was waiting for an MRI and some have to be removed as contain metal.
I had to wait over 6 weeks for my MRI as they couldn't see me earlier as the consultant had just put it through as a normal wait. I rang the consultant secretary to ask why I had to wait so long and she just said they had tried to get me and earlier one but because the consultant hadn't put it through as a potential cancer 2 week wait I had to wait like everyone else!!!!
So I had my MRI on the 15th November and am still awaiting the results.
I rang up 2 weeks ago and his secretary was abit rude. Informed me that the consultant had no further plans to see me in clinic and said she would get him to write to me with the results.
In that 2 weeks I sat waiting for the letter, nothing came and I even contacted my GP but he hadn't had anything either and said give it to the end of the week and he wouldn't contact them.
I received a phone call from the consultant on Thursday (8th December) apologising for the wait but they are confused still about my results. They were not what he was expecting and he said that the ovary looks very abnormal ontop of being enlarged so my results were being reviewed in a meeting with some specialist to see if any of them can figure out what's going on. I assume that he meant an MDT meeting? That meeting was scheduled for yesterday (13th December) and have yet to hear anything as to the outcome.
On the phone the consultant seemed to back track on everything he said to me at our previous appointment. Said that he had been wrong to assume I was too young and that he thinks the ovary and bleeding problems are likely to be connected yet still no answers to what is or isn't the problem. I did ask if it could be something more serious and he did say that at this time they can not rule out the possibility and the only way they would know for sure was by testing it.
So I am currently sat awaiting a phone call. But should it be worse case scenario how long should I expect to wait before they operate??
Sorry for the long post x