No Smoking Day
2,987 members31,585 posts

29 days smoke free

Hello everyone, I quit cold turkey 29 days ago. After 40 years of killing myself slowly, I had had enough. I found I wasn`t enjoying my smoke any longer and finally put them down. I had a good mindset before I put them down, I wasn`t forced to quit, I choose to quit. With having the mindset I do believe it has helped me tremendously. I have had a few hard times with a craving , but I got busy until it passed. In just 29 days I seem to feel so much better. I don`t cough in the mornings anymore, I haven`t used my inhaler once since I quit..and best of all..I don`t smell like an ashtray anymore. The downside of it is I feel tired now, I suppose its the body trying to heal itself. I also had some stomach issues but they seem to be getting better. To everyone out there trying to quit the nasty cigarettes, hang in there. Never say never...stay strong and be stronger than a craving..they do pass. Good luck everyone !

23 Replies
oldestnewest

Zedercat ..Great post !! And wait ...it’s going to get easier much easier as you continue smoke free .

Im on almost 11 months and I don’t even have cravings no more !

Once in a while I remember about cigarets then after a few seconds it’s gone ...

It’s about distracting your mind ,that simple

When I think of all the benefits I tell myself ..”I’m staying quit forever “!!

I wouldn’t want to hurt myself anymore ever again .

Keep it up ⭐️

2 likes

Wow, 11 months ! Congratulations! Keep up the great attitude.

1 like

Zeddercat welcome...It seems you follow the excellent Mantra: "I Can, I Will, end of storey"

After 40 years it is an amazing rediscovery of life the way it should be...Stay strong !!

1 like

Thank you, I had a moment this morning as I plugged my kettle in. I thought, geez, I will have a smoke while the kettle is boiling...then I remembered I no longer smoke. It was a great feeling !

2 likes

These habitual cravings will ease off for every day you are smoke free.... :)

Keep up the good work. I am planning on this Monday...Tha k you.

2 likes

Good luck on your quit ! You can do this ! One day at a time.

Welcome to our community Maridmurphy2006 - we look forward to reading your Day 1 post very soon :)

Hey Maridmurphy2006 , did you start yesterday, if so, how are you getting on....?

Huge welcome to our community zeddercat - congratulations on 29 days smoke free and almost at your first massive milestone of 1 month, well done!

I too stopped cold turkey and heading towards 3 years in September and it has been truly one of the best achievements of my life, which is so much better smoke free, from enjoying nature to eating and tasting delicious food properly now and off course being healthier.

You appear to be in a great positive mindset which is vital to succeed. The tiredness is a normal withdrawal in the first month or so, make sure you are drinking plenty of water, lots of fruit and vegetables and bit of exercise. Below is a pinned post of common withdrawals worth a read if not already done so (along with the rest of the pinned posts)

healthunlocked.com/nosmokin...

We look forward to reading your progress :)

1 month smoke free now zeddercat - congratulations :)

1 like

Thank you for the warm welcome :) . I look forward to reporting my progress as I progress :D

1 like

50 days smoke free today zeddercat - how are you keeping?

I am doing well thank you. I haven`t touched a cigarette :) The cravings are coming less and less now and I rarely think about smoking. I have been with smokers in the same room..a big test at first but I didn`t let it bother me much. I have noticed in the past week that my feet are swollen. Is this a normal thing ? I also have fleeting chest pain now and again. I will say that I WILL NOT go back to smoking and try to quit again...the side effects are a bit nasty at times and I`m not about to give up everything for a puff...I know that one puff will turn into a pack a day.

1 like

Keep up that great mindset zeddercat - the swollen feet could be as a result of dehydration, make sure you are drinking plenty of water, it could also be due to heat and humidity - if like us here in Ireland, we have glorious weather for the past 2 weeks but the last few nights has been 80% to 90% and noticed my ankles swelling slightly.... but for piece of mind would head to your doctor especially with the chest pain - let us know how you get on....

1 like

3 months now zeddercat - how are you getting on?

It`s hard to believe that it has been three months ! I am doing well. Oh yes, I have had some intense cravings but I know I am stronger than the demon. Most of my friends smoke and it doesn`t bother me at all...I like the smell of cigarette smoke in the air. Most of my withdrawal symptoms have eased off in the long run which is a good thing. Three months nicotine free and I am beginning to feel good and confidant in myself that I won`t smoke again. Why I waited so long to quit is beyond me. I love being smoke free and the stink that goes with it. To everyone out there that has given up the nicotine..you can do it..one day at a time.

2 likes

Well done! Love this post ❣️👏❣️

100 days smoke free now zeddercat - congrats! Hope things are continuing to go well for you?

Thank you sooo much Roisin01. I don`t think I would have made it this far without all of you. I come here and read what others are going through and you have all given me the incentive to carry on..for that, I thank each and everyone of you <3 Looking forward to day 200 xox

1 like

You are so inspirational:-)

1 like

Welcome to our community Zoe114 - have you stopped smoking, if so, how long for? Perhaps create a new introductory post sharing your story if you would like to :)

zeddercat I love this! Direct action! Full Frontal Assault! Just stop doing it! Patches - No! e-Cigarettes - No! Nicotine chewing gum - spare me the jube-jubes - No!

Cold Turkey? I'll have it on wholemeal bread with some Lettuce and Tomato thanks!

I used your approach 12 years and 3 months ago. I have never looked back. Except to laugh at what a silly arse I had been by smoking in the first place. All anyone needs to not smoke anymore is the mindset to actually stop being a smoker. Those silly little pangs pass like a bad fart on a windy day. I really like how you explained that YOU Chose to stop being a smoker. You never "quit" anything... you stopped being a smoker... there is a difference. Do not go on any "quitting" smoking journey. The journey was over 29 days ago. YOU decided. Remember... Smoking was NEVER your friend. Stick perfectly to the 2 simple and easy-peasy rules and you can NEVER fail.

1. Never put a tobacco product in your mouth ever again.

2. Never spend a penny on any tobacco or smoking-related product ever again.

Live a happy life. You will NEVER regret doing this fine thing for yourself, those you love and those who love you.

2 likes

You may also like...