Who'd have thought? Not me :)

So, here I am 13 weeks smoke free. There have been ups and downs but for the most part it's been easy using the patches although I almost caved a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure why I didn't just go buy some when I had decided that was exactly what I was going to do, something stopped me and I'm so glad.

I used to hear people say "if I can do it anyone can" and it used to really annoy me because I would think they just weren't as adicted as I was. I'd been smoking for over 30yrs and averaging 40 a day for the last decade or so (at one point I was on 60 a day for around 2 years), I would get up at least twice through the night for a smoke and it was the first thing I done when I woke in the morning.

I'd tried to quit a gazillion times and recently each time I quit I would put on around a stone then start smoking again but not all of the weight would come off, then I stop smoking again and another stone on......... rinse and repeat. So, I was already a fair bit over weight when I quit this time and I've put on over a stone and a half on top of that, I feel like a beached whale but I'm over the crazed eating thing now (I hope) and this week I plan on joining Slimming World.

I wanted to come on and thank everyone on here who helped me through the early days and weeks, it really helped me to get where I am :) You guys are great.

I also wanted to tell a wee bit of my personal story in the hope that it might help someone starting out or just thinking about quitting because I would say to them............If I can do it anyone can :)

7 Replies

• How inspiring Anake, thank you for sharing your story and I wish you continued good luck and strength when it gets a little tough. You've come so far and deserve a big round of applause. Well done.

• Yes, really good Job Ananke, thanks for sharing, thats brilliant.........so what was your secret to being successful this time?

• Ananke...Thank you for sharing not only your story but your excellent persistence and willpower.

You are a good example to follow.

• Ananke my dear quit buddy:) Well done!! I'm glad to hear your doing well and I'm so very proud of you!!!! Your post brought tears to my eyes because I wish I could say the same :-~

I've had some rough times lately - where I questioned everything going on in my life. As you know I recently said goodbye to my father in-law, but I also had to put down my beloved Winston, my 12 year old German Shepherd, and that literally broke my heart. It was the hardest day of my life and I was a freakin' mess – I kid you not. I didn't know what to do with myself and my brain kept telling me it was okay to smoke, its what I needed!!! Sure, it won't change whats already happened, but you'll certainly feel better!! Well I have to say I was such a disaster that I actually believed it and finally gave in - I was so broken I just didn't care about anything anymore. I smoked and I hated it, It did nothing for me except make me despise life even more.

I told my husband about it, said I felt like a failure and cried a river – I just wanted to die. But he was so kind and told me I wasn't a failure, that I just made a mistake under emotional stress – he said stop right now and you'll be okay. Wise man he is - although I hate to admit it!!! but I took his advise and I got back on track right away with no problems - just a stupid wrong turn along the way (where the hell was my gps when I needed it!!!:-) Anyway I never craved after that hiccup, still sad about that and my losses, but learning to deal with them in a healthy way. I'm 3 months (minus 1 stupid moment) but still quite proud of myself because I'm not giving up this quit!

I hope your still willing to walk beside me down the hall to the penthouse - But before you answer please note, based on my calculations, we still have 9 months to ditch those extra pounds we both have gained!!!:-) so I have anticipated success and have per-ordered new skinny jeans and a fitted blouse, not to mention new shoes too:-) But if it doesn't work out for us – we can still be stylish, smoke free beached whales – maybe dressed in a nice matching hawaiian muu-muu :-)))

Oh dear, I think I hijacked your thread again - Damn, I do have a tendency to cross the boundaries....:D

• so wonderful to read your going strong in your quit, you are doing amazing. i so enjoy these inspiring posts. in my book it fantastic how far you have come.

i so hope you are having the odd treat

very well done you

• Ananke! Well done you wonderful wonderful quitter :) I'm really pleased for you. Thanks for giving us an update/background. Anyone out there lurking - take inspiration :)

And Que! How lovely to hear from you, too. Your husband is very wise, I agree with him entirely! Sorry you had such a rubbish time - you're still doing brilliantly though - a hiccup is just a hiccup, you didn't let it beat you. Hold tight to your quit lovely lady.

And I bet Ananke doesn't mind sharing a post or three with you Que! x

• Really fantastic achievement Ananke. The post is great because loads of people get caught in the cycle and i know it helped me to see its not all hopeless. Small steps day to day and suddenly you're doing it and it's great. Well done x

You may also like...