Well, I stopped smoking a week ago today! I'm feeling very proud of myself, especially considering the mood I was in before I stopped.
And I have to say, in all honesty, it's been ok! Thanks to the Champix, I haven't had any nicotine cravings - yes, I've had a few "I fancy a fag" moments, and I was a bit grumpy on Day 5, but other than that it's been great. And I've already noticed benefits, which I thought I'd post - if you're reading this and thinking about quittng, all I can say is go for it!
1) I used to have a few drinks EVERY day when I got in from work. The Champix has put me off alcohol, so I've cut that down to a couple of drinks on a weekend.
2) I used to drink at least 6 cups of coffee and 3 teas per day. Because I associate that with fags, I've cut that down to 2 drinks per day, so my caffeine intake has dramatically reduced too (Incidentally, I've discovered some fantastic herbal teas from a company called Teapigs - pricey, but I can afford them now!)
3) I used to get home from work and collapse in a heap on the sofa, without the energy even to cook dinner (we often resorted to toast or takeaways!) I'd be falling asleep on the sofa by 8.30pm. Now I get home, prepare dinner,(even hoovered and mopped yesterday) and have taken to reading in bed, because I'm not that tired!
4) People have told me that I have more colour in my face (I'm taking the credit for that, rather than the sunshine! )
5) I was worried about putting on weight when I stopped, so I went shopping beforehand and bought loads of healthy food, (God bless grapes, Smints and sugar free gum too!). So thinking about what I'm eating, combined with the energy to cook healthy meals, less tea/coffee (I take sugar!) and the reduced alcohol intake, means that I've actually lost 3lbs this week.
All in all, a pretty darned good week!
I do hope that this doesn't come across as gloating - I know that some people find it really difficult in their 1st week (and I have previously!) But I thought a positive message might be useful for some - I just hope this post doesn't come back and bite me on the arse at some point in the future!! :D. All I can say is, if you're thinking about it, DO IT!!!