Does the butterfly rash sting slightly and feel itchy and hot?

I had a neorologist appointment last Thursday and he said in the light of lupus I should be aware of the rash on my face. I looked in the mirror and saw the red tingling in my face ran across both cheeks and my nose. This rash has stayed mildly visible for 3 or 4 days. It feels rather like hives, which I experienced as a teen as an allergic response to my own sweat whilst doing school sports. Does this sound like a malar rash?

Last edited by

5 Replies

• Hi Bonnie36. Your rash could well be a lupus malar rash, but only a rheumatologist can diagnoise. Good idea to take photographs of the rash and talk to your Dr.

• Thanks flossy1. Unfortunately is was hard to get a good photo of it as lighting was tricky. Yet to actually see a rheumatologist, but my neurologist was the one who drew attention to it.

• The rash on my face appears only after I'ave been in too much sun, under flourscent lights or on sulfa based antibiotics. Good luck.

• Hi Bonnie39

My rash feels hot and can itch. Hope you get sorted soon X

• Thanks oaktree. Not much sun recently but possibly fluorescent lights in hospital!

Thanks Misty. Hopefully I will. Not sure how many more symptoms I can have to demonstrate I have sle!!

You may also like...