Drug interactions

Hi, I'm on warfarin and due to lots of things going on in my life at the moment, am very depressed. I've found out that loads of drugs & herbal alternatives interact with warfarin & am desperate to drag myself out of this nightmare. I am having counselling & have a brilliant supportive family but need to get on top of this depression sooner rather than later. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi, I am on warfarin and when I was put on it in 2004 I was already on anti depressants so on that occasion as they were already in my body there was no reaction. In 2009 I thought I could manage with out and spent a year coming off. I lasted 6 months without and had to admit defeat and went back on them. My GP recommended just watching my INR but I had no issues at all. What he said all the time I was off them was not to consider St Johns Wort as that did interact badly.

i have had to accept I need them, my GP's agree and so does Professor Hughes he believes our depression is often a part of our disease.

I think you need to discuss this with your GP.

Keep us posted with how you get on.

• If you really want to take the supplements and herbal alternatives and your GP agrees with this then perhaps an alternative to the warfarin could be to have a trial of LMW Heparin. It works differently to warfarin and some of us find it can also work better for our symptoms. If your GP agreed you could see if this was the case for you and then decide if it was something that you wanted to stay on permanently . Of course the cost may be something that the PCT might have something to grumble about but if you are better for it in the long run they may save money in other ways.

• I should add that reactive depression is common with a lot of conditions. It is not part of the condition per se just that all of the fatigue, pain and side effects that go along with the illness get on top of you.

• Hi

Ginger is a big NO I used it for sickness omg my INR went crazy x

You may also like...