My brain aneurysm saga: As in my prior posts, I was diagnosed with a 3mm brain aneurysm in Sept. and was scheduled for a 'cerebral artery angiogram' for Nov. 10-it is a diagnostic surgery done in hospital--they catheterize you through groin artery and all the way into brain and inject dye--The neurosurgeon had to get certification from 3 of my doctors--Cardiologist, Internist, and Hematologist (the one who treats me for the Factor V and APS.) Well, it was all set up and when I went to the hematologist for certification, he refused to approve until he spoke to neurosurgeon---After conferring with wach other, they decided it may be too risky, so instead the neuro had me do a CTA (cat scan angiogram) where they inject dye into your arm--much less invasive.
I had the CTA Nov 4, and then saw the neuro, and then for a second opinion with another neuro--each one is chief neurosurgeon in their respective hospitals. It was confirmed that it was 3 mm and the opinion of both is the risk of the angiogram and surgery is very risky due to my 2 blood conditions, my hypertension, and my atrial fibrillations. They said I would have to go off warfarin, could get blood clots, could suffer a stroke, etc. So they both decided the risk of the aneurysm erupting is less.
I have to go every year for an MRA (magnetic resonance angiogram) and monitor it. If it grows, then they would consider the next step.
My children have to be tested per both doctors--they said it is familial--My grandmother, mother, aunt, and sister all had aneurysms.
My hematologist is very wise for not approving---I owe him.