Newbie- Seropositive Rheumatoid Arthritis - Diet

I've recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I'm taking methotrexate and folic acid. I've also had a few steroid interventions to try and see me through to the meds kicking in (only 3 weeks into it.) I'm a healthy, fit (albeit obviously not lol) 53 year old in a much younger skin...or so I like to believe ;-)

I do believe you are what you eat and would love any advise regarding diet etc.

Thanks, in anticipation..eating sardines on 5 seeded bread 😆

Last edited by

5 Replies

• Keep your carb intake to between 100g to 140g per day of low Gi, low fructose carbs. Have a sensible amount of non-starchy vegetables, and less than a palm-size of natural protein food at most meals. Make up the balance with natural fat.

Try to keep a window of over 14 hours between your evening meal to breakfast, and make your breakfast lo-carb. This will turn up your body's repair and immunity mechanisms.

Avoid high glycaemic carbs, anomalies such as yoghurt or baked beans (that spike insulin/IGF-1), fructose, alcohol, processed food and preservatives.

• Hi

Thanks for your reply...however I don't understand most of it 😊

Is it possible to translate it into meal ideas ? I realise I'm asking a lot. I do leave a gap between evening meals and breakfast. Usually eat around 5-6pm and have a late breakfast around 10.30ish. I had heard this is when your metabolism copes better with food. I also try to drink a lot of water and consume a cup of raisins a day for their potassium ☺

• The best sources of carbs are quinoa, bulgur wheat, sweet corn, sweet potato, milk, barely-ripe banana, dried apricots (preservative free), beans from dry, peas, lentils, barley or whole-oats. Keep to about a cup per meal (less at breakfast to aid weight-loss). Mixed grain bread is okay, but unless you make your own will have preservatives.

Raisins are high in sugar which is half fructose, half glucose; sweet potato, banana, dried apricots, green leafy veg and avocado are better sources of potassium.

Natural protein foods include eggs, meat (including offal), game, poultry, fish, seafood and cheese.

Non-starchy vegetables are generally above ground/salad vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables, with mushrooms, peppers, onions and tomatoes okay.

Natural fat includes soft cheese, olive oil, avocado, coconut, animal fats (crackling, goose fat, duck fat), nuts and double cream - the amount you have of these depends on your energy needs; judge your portion sizes.

Adjust the meals you ENJOY to these proportions.

• Thanks - I'll digest that ☺

• :-)

You may also like...