PainConcern Poll on Amitriptyline

The PainConcern.HU community are running a poll of the effectiveness of Amitriptyline for pain relief. I know many of you will have had experience of this med, so why not go take part in their poll?

painconcern.healthunlocked....

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Taken part Lindsey, thank you! :) :)

• Ive been on amitriptyline for 10 years now and apart from me taking time to wake up in the morning im fine with it i take 25mg every night with 2 paracetamol as i get restless legs as well i take zinc and magnessium as well.

• Have been taking 75mg at night for quite a few years with no side affects but being investigated for prostrate cancer, bearing in mind that amitriptyline makes you retain pee (not a bad effect at night) I weaned of altogether over the space of 6 weeks.

Now I don't sleep properly, have restless legs, struggle to get out of bed and get dressed and all my muscles and joints give me gyp and I have to force myself to move around. But--- when I have started moving i,e, to go to hospital it gradually gets easier ( only for short periods). When I have got past the treatment then I shall ask to go back to the amitryptyline. I have been on pregabolin but had too many side affects.

• Ive been on them now for 5yrs,with a gradual increase to 125grms a day which is alot,my doc perscribed them for nerve pain and depression,i know they are strong,but would i be able to cope with the pain and depression without them?

• What I would ask is "how well are your symptoms controlled?". Because if you're still in pain, or struggling with other symptoms, then possibly there is a better alternative.

Re depression, 125mg is a low dose for depression. Amitriptyline is rarely used for depression now as there are other medications that can be taken at lower doses so with less problematic side effects.

• Tried Amytriptylline, worked well in it's muscle relaxant role, but gave me vivid dreams of sitting on the toilet! Several times I nearly wet my bed, then changed to another tablet.

You may also like...