Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,680 members50,939 posts

Claiming for ESA (Employment and Support Allowance)

Hi everyone,

I claiming ESA - support group......Do not get any income due to my partner working full time. Apparently I get my National Insurance paid. I have been getting this 'claim' for at least 5 years (but without any actual income).

is there any way I can start to receive money?? I am poorly, but I cannot get any extra finance.......I know my partner works but we are really struggling.



9 Replies

Hi there

Welcome to the Fibromyalgia Support Forum.

You don't mention whether you have Fibromyalgia?

I am not an expert on benefits I'm afraid so I think your best bet would be to contact the CAB and ask them to advise you.

I feel sure that they will be able to help you.

Good luck



1 like

You may be entitled to HC2 certificate to help with prescriptions, dental, eye care etc. It's dependant on joint earnings but is worth looking at. You can pick up a HC1 form from Boots or opticians. Anywhere that you would use the certificate or ring NHS Low Income Scheme on 0300 330 1343. The upper limits are if you have more than £16,000 in savings. It's fairly straight forward form and easy to fill in.

I'm in the support group for ESA it's known as EESA and I don't automatically qualify for free NHS. It's the only group that doesn't get it because it's contributions based. HC2 certificate is the way to get free NHS. It's an anomaly in the system which has caused me no end of problems.


You should check out if you are eligible for PIP, citizens advice can help with this. It is not based on income and is a benefit for people disabled by their illness. There are different levels of payments based on your needs. All the best


Hi Booblet

I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you possibly can be today? As Shazzzy says you could be entitled to PIP, which is a tax free benefit paid on your disability and not according to earnings. I have pasted an excerpt and a link below to the *GOV.UK cache on this for you.

*1. Overview

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

You could get between £21.80 and £139.75 a week.

The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck and please take care of yourself my friend.

All my hopes and dreams for you




As others say PIP

ESA you must be in the income related group however your Husband income must be too much for you to receive any money .



Hello, my husband works full time from home as he is my carer. I get contribution based ESA which is not dependent on income, but on, obviously enough, the amount of Nat Insurance you have paid. I first claimed in June 2012, was awarded it and put in the support group. I have just this week received a work capability assessment, so the DWP are reviewing it. I was never asked to a face to face appointment for ESA but I was for PIP, which I was also awarded. Good luck.

1 like

Hi yea u can get money my hubby works full time I get esa look in to this I finish work thought I'll Health


I am same

1 like

You could try to claim PIP....DLA was never means tested so I shouldn't see why PIP is. Good luck xx


You may also like...