CONTRIBUTION ESA : Hi I wanting some... - Fibromyalgia Acti...

Fibromyalgia Action UK
47,335 members59,208 posts



Hi I wanting some advice for my son who is now a recovering alcoholic and is just coming out of 6 months rehab and going into supported housing. My question here is can he change from contributions (support group) to income related esa? It seems he will benefit more from contributions money wise ie free dental care...only just found out he doesn't qualify and has had a bill and a fine for 156 pound!!! which he can not afford to pay. Also he would qualify an extra 15.75 a week too. If he can change what are the pros and cons to it ll...I find it all very confusing. Any advice would be greatly received x

14 Replies

Hello and welcome to our friendly fibro site.

You haven't said if you are suffering from fibro and as this is a fibro site I am not sure we can help you with your son's predicament.

I suggest you make an appointment with the Citizens Advice to find more information. Also check the government website.

Here is the link:

Hope this helps


If he get's support group he will get both contribution and non-contribution and will qualify for health treatment.

If he is going into a supported house he should qualify for Support group

in reply to wispa1a

Sorry but I think you'll find income related esa qualifies for other help because it's based upon your income. Contributions based is about NI contributions. You'd get most help in a Support Group but income based.

He has been on contributions for over two years because he is in a support group but he would be better off if was changed to income related has he no money at all. Would he be able to change to income based and if so is there any cons to doing this? x

No because he should have both if he's on support group he will be entitled to health help.

You get both contributions in support group

why has he not been told this or getting it...ive just been reading he can have both...will he get back pay for their error ? x

back pay I mean x

No it's not extra pay, one covers NI and one cover NHS dental, scripts etc.

And DWP will never tell you what you are entitled to.

That's what benefit calculators are foe

All you will be entitled to is ESA. If you're lucky you will get support group.

However many people here with multiple illnesses have been refused and needed to appeal

I got what you mean now.

Check last letter for.

Disability income guarantee

I get (did before pip change) both on my ESA letters.

But for that I was on disability with care for the disability premium.

If entitled it will be on the letter and income related means how much you earn.

I thought you meant dental health sorry

Hi harrison-ross26

I was wondering if he may qualify through another benefit that he may receive? I have pasted a list from the *NHS Choices cache on this issue below:

* you’re included in an award of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit guarantee credit or Universal credit (check entitlement after October 31 2015)

you’re named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate

you’re named on a valid HC2 certificate

If you're named on a valid HC3 certificate, you may not have to pay for all your NHS dental treatment. HC2 and HC3 certificates are issued under the NHS Low Income Scheme.

I want to sincerely wish you all the best of luck and please take care of yourself my friend.

All my hopes and dreams for you



Supported Housing does not qualify anyone to be in Support Group of ESA .

Housing and Benefits are completely separated

Some will get both income and Contribution ESA but depends on your circumstances and NI contributions.

Pick up a HC2 form from GP surgery if on a low income this will provide you with free Healthcare cost .I believe you may also be able to claim back cost you may have paid.

Does he get PIP

If he is in Supported Housing their should be someone their to help him with benefits.


Hi. I'm in the same position being on what is called EESA. I'm also in the support group. It's not something that can be changed as the contributions go towards pension. It's an anomaly that cost me 2 years of prescriptions. He can fill out an HC1 form which is for help with costs. You can get them from Boots or bigger opticians. It covers all the things that you get free on other benefits. He will be entitled to the certificate HC2. It's an A4 piece of paper that he would have to show for free treatment. You may be able to get dental costs back. There's a form they can fill out it starts with an F but sorry can't remember it's name. It's something like FP58. It's blue and A4 size. You would send any from dental and prescriptions in with HC1 form. There's also a telephone number on the form to ring them. They are really helpful. Unfortunately I have to fill a form in every year and it can take up to 6 weeks for them to process. I've just done mine last week.

You may also like...