Financial Help with Heating and Windows

Hi All, I am newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I find the cold affects me. The thing is I live with my partner who owns the property. The property has no central heating and no double glazing not even a gas fire. My partner is self employed but earns very little. I work full time but i am finding this really difficult. The money I earn keeps us afloat but that is all. I am a discharged bankrupt so I can't get a loan to pay for Windows or heating and my partner just doesn't make enough. Is there any schemes we can contact for financial assistance. It's really getting me down and making me feel worse than ever.

12 Replies

  • Hi Condor14,

    If you type in your search engine it will bring up the site options. There you should see options for Benefit calculation and Grant search.

    I don't know if you've exhausted the benefits system option but if so, it might be worth looking at the charitable grants that are available to see if you qualify.

    Best of luck with your search, I was I could do more to help xx

  • Thanks Maggi999 I will have a look. xx

  • Hi Condor not sure of your age (not sure it matters!) but I think AgeUK will be able to point you in the right direction even if they cannot help. You need heat and warmth to give some relief from fibro + ....Let us know how it goes.....

  • To be perfectly honest Condor that house is just not suitable for you!! You and O.H should look into a rented home for now that has heating, enquire with your energy supplier if they do warm winter allowance for people with chronic illness if they do take your energy supplier with you to a new home and apply for this allowance.. You also need some help from you g.p and whoever diagnosed fibro.. Have the rented home in your name and either let the property you have now "as seen" be very choosy who you Let to (no youngsters or edlerley) and use the money from it to get new windows and heating installed.. You can look on line also for free cavity wall insulation and loft insulation for both properties, you can also approach your local housing WITH a letter of support from your medics stating the home you have in unsuitable for your needs..You may also qualify for housing benefit.. Good Luck I hope you get somewhere.. I did it this way!

  • Caz has given you some useful information, Condor14 I feel there must be some help to insulate and install central heating, but you may find it difficult with you both working to get help with the cost.

    I suggest you book an appointment with Citizens Advice and contact your local council. You may be able to get a grant to fully insulate your house including double glazing which would help, but not solve the heating problem.

    Failing that, perhaps your partner would consider working for an employer in a better paid job at least until the heating is installed, after all it will be adding value to his house.

    Try and stay warm with hot water bottles, hot drinks and an electric blanket for your bed.

    Hope you find all the help you need to make your life easier with fibro


  • Hello Condor14 and welcome to our friendly forum, where you will be assured of good company, information, help, advice and support.

    Have you looked at our mother site ? Here you will find a lot of useful information and links to benefits and others.

    We do have a Benefits advisor Janet and details are below.

    Benefit address WWW.fmauk.or/contactsmenu/help

    Benefits Helpline 03009990055 Mon-Fri 10.00-12.00

    National Helpline 03009993333

    If you look to the right on Related Posts in blue you will find other members experiences of this problem.

    Please lock your post, at the moment your post and all of your replies can be seen by the whole internet. Many members will not reply to an unlocked post because of divulging personal information. For instructions on how to lock, please look to the right on Pinned Posts in blue. If you are on a phone you may need to go to landscape.

    I have replied concerning your query earlier.


  • My central heating died about five years ago and needs completely replacing, which I haven't been able to afford. I now use plug-in electric radiators in the living room and bedroom. They run on thermostats and keep the rooms as warm as toast. I put plug-in towel warmers in the kitchen and bathroom. They dry the tea towels and bath towels and keep the small kitchen and bathroom warm too. The immersion heater gives me warm water. And it doesn't cost a fortune in electricity - I pay £70 a month all the year round to cover all my electricity. My only income is my ESA, so it is possible to keep warm on a low income.

  • I don't know if they still do it, but some gas and electricity suppliers offer a discount to customers with disabilities and/or illnesses. You have to apply and prove your eligibility with evidence of disability benefits. I'm going to check my supplier now myself. I've just realised that this applies to the UK, so don't know about anywhere else, but always worth asking. I'm going to check online now. Fingers crossed for both uf us! :-)

  • Warm Home Discounts

    Unfortunately eligibility differs from supplier to supplier this year and their was limited funds available you can apply on line .


  • I've applied for this with British Gas, so fingers crossed. :-)

  • Hi Condor14

    Welcome to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I can see that you have been given some wonderful replies and advice so I will simply and sincerely wish you all the best of luck. Please take care of yourself my friend.

    All my hopes and dreams for you


  • I'm not sure if it's still running but when I moved into my private rented flat, which had electric panel heaters I applied to Warm Front it was a Charity that helped people with health conditions effected by cold & damp. Because my flat is only 1 bedroom they couldn't put central heating in as needed to be a certain sq foot, they put in Storage heating a new tank & timer & pull electric heater. I know they were low on funds & don't know if they could help with owned home, but always worth looking along with other info people have suggested.

    I know how much the cold & damp can add to pain so hope you get something sorted, I had to cope with pj's hat thick socks duvet n throw for a few winters before I got the storage heaters. Also look into the warm home scheme run through energy companies if you qualify,Npower & British Gas have a scheme where if you have savings less than £16,000 n health effected by cold you qualify as I do & get 1 off payment of £140 last year or something like that, to help with energy bills, but need to apply soon as there is a cut off point hope I have helped Karen x

You may also like...