PIP Granted

Morning everyone, I have just had a text message to say that I have been granted PIP.

I am so relieved and in complete disbelief. I really thought I wouldnt get this.

I can now plan ahead a bit more. I need a more accessible shower as we only have one downstairs and it has a high step into it. I should be able to afford to have one installed upstairs now and the bath removed.

Does the PIP allow me to get any other help now.

I dont mean to be tight but I cant work and there are so many big bills to pay.

Hope everyone has a good day.

20 Replies

  • Wonderful news congratulations, I don't no about the extra help I also would like to no, but excerlent news xx

  • Thanks mollymay, it it such a releif.

    I doubt if I qualify for extra help like council tax help as my wife is working full time.


  • I dont no hun i would like to no also I'm one of them that don't like to enquire about help from professional people I don't like the knock Bk when they say no to me, I expect someone wil say from this wonderful forum, xx

  • How to find out what other benefits you may be able to get. type in

    PIP passport benefits.


  • Thankyou xx

  • Well done on getting PIP. There are other benefits that you can get if you qualify for pip called `passport benefits`

    Type in Pip passport benefits and you will get a choice. Welfare Rights: Passport Benefits is a good one to look at.

    @+mollymay2 you will find this a help too.

    I cant get the link and i dont know why.


  • Here is a link that may be of use:


  • Thanks. my links are not working.

    i am just about to try another way.

    Ignore what might come up. :P


    Yeay it worked.

  • Glad you managed to get PIP without the hassle so many go through. One less worry for you. Like you say, lack of money doesn't help the bills. I'm afraid I know nothing of PIP so am not able to help. I hope you can relax a bit now 🐸

  • Hi

    I don't know if you own your own house or renting but there are options if you contact your local council for grants adjustments to your home.

    We started down that route but came up against the dreaded means test form where they asked about stocks and shares we own, (I wish) and obscure things like bonds and gilts as well as any income from any other source. Oddly they didn't ask about the mortgage, council tax, utility bills, loans or other outgoings which seems a bit one sided.

    If we did have the grant the council would put a charge on the house so when it was sold the money would have to be paid back. This is one of those times where renters do much better and they do not have to pay towards the alterations.

    My husband was working at the time so we decided to do the changes ourselves, using a local builder. The council recommended builders gave estimates of several thousand pounds more, so we chose our own.

    Don't forget if you do alterations to benefit a disabled person you can claim the VAT. We did this and it paid for all of our tiling. The government website GOV.UK will give you more information.

    I don't regret doing any of the alterations, (apart from the inconvenience of the building work) and it certainly makes life better.

    Good luck!

  • What is PIP What does it mean ?

  • Hi Erny

    PIP stands for Personal Independence Payment. It used to be called DLA (Daily Living Allowance).

    It is a benefit that people with disabilities can apply for.

    Lu x

  • I had money problems , it wasn't a huge amount but it was enough to cause concern . i couldn't pay it , i could barely afford to support myself from pay to pay let alone to pay off the people that were demanding sums of money instantly . first off you must contact the people you owe money to and inform them of the situation , it may surprise you how helpful and sympathetic they can be . secondly i would suggest getting in contact with stepchange.org/ its a charity and what they do is free , they are widley recognised and well established . they helped me work out my money and decided that a debt relief order was my best course of action . A debt relief order or DRO as they call them can be issued to anyone that is left with less than £50 pm to pay your bills . they take details about all of your in's and out's and if you qualify you pay £90 ( this can be done in installments) and its for the paperwork to be processed by a court if the DRO is granted and approved then all of the companys that need paying are told to stop contacting you , you do not have to pay a penny to them , if your financial situation doesn't change within 12 months of the DRO being approved your debts are magically wiped away permanently . it will slightly effect your credit rating as it is a minor form of insolvency . there are other terms and conditions like not being able to enter into any debt making contracts within that 12 months . but its worth it .

  • Hi there

    I just wanted to say how pleased I am for you.

    Hopefully it will take some pressure off you.

    Wishing you much peace

    Lu x


  • I'm so pleased for you when you received the letter saying telling you your entitled to pip they give you a list of other benefits your entitled to x

  • Hi Golfer15

    Firstly, I am genuinely delighted to read that you have ascertain a PIP award, and I sincerely want to wish you all the best of luck.

    Secondly, if you have not had this already? I would contact your local authority and / or social services and ask for an Occupational Health Assessment at your home to ascertain your care needs etc. Quite often any personal care costs that you have can be met by your local authority after such an assessment. This could help save you a tidy sum of money my friend? Please take care of yourself.

    All my hopes and dreams for you


  • Hi just seen your post have you been in touch with social services about your shower I have been awarded pip via a text message and I am in disbelief as well because I was not expecting it but surely you should have some help over your shower

    Kind regards Carol

  • Congratulations.

  • Congratulations on the good news

  • I can only talk about social services in Scotland, if you are under 65yrs you would pay for any services you get, if you are older than 65yrs you can be assessed for personal care which is free. If however you require help with housework or shopping you need to pay. This is what the attendance allowance was for, so I take it a part of the pip would be for that as well.

You may also like...