Backdated ESA ignored for 52 weeks

Hi all

So, i was wondering what classes as income, and what classes as capital?

I was recently awarded ESA and had a back payment of over £3,600. I know that this money is not classed as capital for the first 52 weeks.

But what about your regular ESA payments? For instance, say i receive my regular fortnightly ESA payment of £250.10 today. Is that £250 classed as capital, or will it only class as capital if i save it for over 52 weeks?

If i saved up the last 6 months of ESA payments, would they not count as capital until 52 weeks?

Can that backdated money be spent as i wish? I owe a family member i live with backdated rent which is over £3,000. Plus i need a new computer which will be another £800 or so.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I am sorry but i have no idea. But if you contact welfare rights they should be able to help you. Link and phone no below. Good luck.

welfarerights.net

01387 266 888

• Hi my friend, I think that bluebell99 has hit it on the head from what I have been reading on the GOV.UK website. I want to genuinely wish you all the best of luck.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken

• I believe you can spend it as you wish, although the dreaded IDS is talking of trying to make it in the form of food coupons!

Check on the gov.com site but I believe you can have six thousand in capital or savings before it effects your allowances not benefits !

Best wishes Patrick

You may also like...