Welcome to the Fibromyalgia Action UK community!
Please know this is for general advice and these situations are thankfully few & far between, however you all need to know how to deal with abuse if you come across this within the FibroAction community.
Firstly let's outline what you do whether you receive abusive messages on the main board or via private message.
1. Do NOT respond. Ignoring any abuse is always the best thing to do - you have the power to switch off your device by pressing a button! You can then come back to it later when all has been most probably dealt with by Admin (especially if you've reported it) Also please note any engagement may be considered as abusive if you reply in the same manner to a member even it was not you that originally sent the abuse,so this is something that should be considered.
2. Use your report button - This is the best way for us to be highlighted to any issue on the board as we get a 'Report of Abuse' email with all details. As we have a large community of 15,000 members we do our very best to moderate the community to the best of our ability but cannot read all posts every single day.
3. Know we will address the Report of Abuse accordingly and your forum name will not be mentioned to the member who has been reported to be abusive
4. If after the incident you feel worried about your identity (ie forum name) being followed or would just feel more comfortable, you can change your forum name in order to be completely disassociated with the incident.You can do this by going to your 'Account' & at the bottom you can change your forum name twice if needed
1. Again, do NOT respond. Ignoring any abuse is always he best thing to do - you have the power to switch off your device by pressing a button! You can then come back to it later when all has been most probably dealt with by Admin (especially if you've reported it) Also please note any engagement may be considered as abusive if you reply in the same manner to a member even if originally sent the abuse,so this is something that should be considered.
2. Do NOT delete the message/s - This is very important - We understand you may be distressed, deeply upset or even angry but please do not respond and/or delete message. Again you have the power to switch off the device after reporting it to an Administrator.
3. Report the abusive messages to an Administrator (our Admins are listed below) if you would like our help to deal with the situation appropriately or you can report it directly to HealthUnlocked by using the following email: email@example.com
The best way to report the abuse is to send a private message including the link (by using copy & paste and putting in the report message) or you can just quote the six digit number at the end instead.
Please see this made up example of a link & number;
Number seen below;
Another way which may be quicker is to take a Screenshot of the messages including the HealthUnlocked green bar and sending as an attachment via email to HealthUnlocked using firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Know that this will then be dealt with accordingly. You may be wondering why you have quoted a private message link or number, this is because HealthUnlocked can access your messages.
Please note this is ONLY done in circumstances such as reports of abuse etc other than these rare situations your private messages between members are just that private I am sure you can understand the need to intervene in Reports of Abuse by private message in this way as Cyberbullying or abuse of any way will not tolerated.
5. If after the incident you feel worried about your identity (ie forum name) being followed or would just feel more comfortable, you can change your forum name in order to be completely disassociated with the incident.You can do this by going to your 'Account' & at the bottom you can change your forum name twice if needed
List of Administrators
Hamble99b- Admin on behalf of HU
TheAuthor -Admin on behalf of HU
Ginsing - Admin on behalf of HU
M0AL61 = Admin on behalf of HU
Hazel_angelstar - FMAUK Administrator & Admin on behalf of HU
Desquinn - FMAUK Vice Chair & Webmaster
Your participation on HealthUnlocked should be with respect, honesty, and in the spirit of supporting and learning from your fellow users.
HealthUnlocked is not a form to create negative feedback about identifiable individuals. Negative and damaging references to identifiable individuals may be edited or deleted either by HealthUnlocked or by a community administrator
If an account is suspected of violating any of these guidelines as stipulated above, particularly in the instance of bullying or spamming, that member's account may be restricted or banned.
Link to Community Guidelines: support.healthunlocked.com/...
6. Acceptable use
Your contributions must:
be accurate (where they state facts);
be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material that is obscene, offensive, hateful, inflammatory or defamatory of any person;
promote any discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
infringe any copyright, database right, trade mark or any other right of any other person;
be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
be likely to harass, upset, embarrass alarm or annoy any other person;
be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or
advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
HealthUnlocked Advice about content to be reported, links below;
Hope this helps you to understand the best ways to deal with this distressing situation should it occur. I do hope you are any of you are ever in the situation to report a private message as, as I say this hardly ever happens as far as we know.