Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,765 members51,024 posts

Should I see a doctor? Or is it normal?

Last night my right breast became really sore and itchy and I couldn't lie on my side... It was only comfortable to sleep on my back then again this morning my right nipple is still itchy and sore... I just had my period last week so it's not that. My nipple is really red and looks a little swollen and I have a red line that's about 2-3 inches long coming from my nipple across my breast to my side. I'm only 17 so I don't really know if it's normal or what?

6 Replies

Hi, I suggest you speak to a nurse at your surgery, because they see a lot of people and can suggest whether you need to make a GP appointment.


Hi HeartbreakGirl

I am so sorry to read that you are having this problem at the moment, and I genuinely hope that you can find some resolution and relief to the issue.

There was a very similar post to yours the other day, and I have pasted you the link for it below. I put on a couple of website links relating to what it may be? But please remember that some medications can make you itchy or sore.

It really is advisable to seek medical help with an issue such as this.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken x


It could just be a blocked duct, but always better to have it checked, besides which I think you need antibiotics for a blocked duct. As my mother would say, get it checked, better safe than sorry :) I hope you get it resolved soon, take care. X


This sounds like a localised inflammation of the breast, which could be one of several very treatable conditions - I don't want to name them as I'm unable to see your red skin there nor do I know your medical history, but your doctor will - and will be able to reassure you immediately I'm sure...

So please make an appointment to see your GP (or the practice nurse if you prefer) to get their help and advice - it really doesn't sound serious to me so please don't worry about all the possibilities but make that appointment so you can start to feel more comfortable again without delay.

Wishing you well.

CM xx


With any worries about the breast, I'd go to the doctor, (in fact I have, several times, but its always been fine), get him/her to look at it and if he's unsure, he'll refer you. At 17 it maybe to do with hormones that haven't quite settled down, and you need some reassurance and if in the remote chance that its a problem the sooner its dealt with the better. Its probably nothing,but if you're like me you'll worry and look it up, and become scared when theirs nothing to be worried about. If you have a male GP, but would rather see a woman, ask the receptionist, personally, for some reason, Good luck, but I bet you don't need luck!


Definitely see a doctor.

I developed similar symptoms a couple of years ago, and fretted about bothering my gp with yet another fibro related problem.. but i did, and ended up being treated for mastitis...I felt better within a week, get it checked out


You may also like...