This is my first post although I’ve been a member of this group for about eight months now. I’m 34 and my partner is 36 and we have been trying to conceive our first for just over two years with no success. We have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility.
We had our nurse planning appointment for IVF last week on Valentine’s Day (which I thought was a good omen) and we planned to start long protocol this cycle on day 21. I was on my period the day of the appointment so they couldn’t scan me and so I went back to have that done today.
I’ve had several scans and a laparoscopy in the past two years, all of which were fine, but today’s scan showed what might be a polyp in the lining of my uterus. They instantly organised another scan for me with a doctor where they injected saline solution into my uterus to see if it was indeed a polyp or just a fold of the skin in the womb. It still appeared to be a polyp.
They told me that I need to be referred back to the GP and then to the hospital to have it removed as it could affect implantation. Apparently there is a two- to four-month wait for this procedure.
I’m gutted at this delay as I was all geared up to start this month.
The clinic did say that if I wanted to, I could go ahead with treatment up until egg collection and then freeze any viable embryos, which could be transferred later once I had the suspected polyp removed. I’m not sure if my NHS funding would cover the FET part if I did this.
Has this happened to anyone else? I don’t know what to do. Either I go ahead and hopefully get some frozen embryos, or I halt everything until the polyp has been dealt with. Any advice would be much appreciated.