Ask our Nurse - Period post Miscarriage

Hi there, I am nearly five weeks post miscarriage and have yet to have a period. The consultant said that my first period should be within six weeks of the day I miscarried so I still have another 7-8 days to go. For the past week or so I have been getting pre-period cramps but then it doesnt come to anything. Should I be concerned or is this normal? I tested on an ovulation stick and it was negative so assuming LH surge has been and gone so was hoping a period was to follow, but no sign. xx

5 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Hi Lauren87

Sorry for your loss. I also miscarried in June at 7 weeks.

It took me about 6 weeks for my periods to return. I was also quite concerned that it took so long! I spoke to the nurse on the gynaecologist ward (where I was admitted to when I miscarried) and they said don't be concerned until you reach 8 weeks.

Hope you don't have to wait too long!

• Thanks Niag, Im having all the PMT symptoms but with no actual period! I think i will wait unitl the 6 week mark and if I still havent had a period I might get in touch with the clinic x

• Hi Lauren87. In my experience it can take up to 3/12's for periods to kick start back into place following a miscarriage. If you do have to wait this long, then you need to see your GP in case you need something to "kick start" you back into a normal cycle again. hope all is soon sorted. Diane

• Thanks Diane, by '3/12's' do you mean 3 - 12 months?

• Hi l

Lauren87. Sorry! Yes, I meant 3months. Diane

You may also like...