Best Liquid Food for Hypoglycaemia - Diabetes Research...

Diabetes Research & Wellness Foundation

6,147 members1,518 posts

Best Liquid Food for Hypoglycaemia

celticlady profile image

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a liquid food full of all vital goodies as finding it difficult to eat solids with nausea. Can it be hypoglycaemia due to Thyroid issue? Many thanks.

16 Replies
Activity2004 profile image
Activity2004Administrator

I use a plant based shake that has protein in it and 25 carbs. when I get lower numbers at night while sleeping as a quick snack to bring the numbers up, again.

I hope this helps. :-)

Thank you....will invest in a juicer soon x

Activity2004Administrator in reply to celticlady

You're welcome. The plant based shake is in a box and can be either vanilla or chocolate flavored that can be poured into a cup. :-)

What brand? Ready made ? Or powder ?

Activity2004Administrator in reply to Fatbuddy

It's a drink that's in a box and has both powder and liquid together to be shaken up. :-)

What is your A1C last 3 times? Are you taking insulin? How low does it get? Gets low during day or night?

celticlady profile image
celticlady in reply to Fatbuddy

Thank you fatbuddy. I'm not diabetic but due to thyroid probs I get hypoglycemia if I don't eat within a certain time. I have a virus and have nausea so struggle to eat solids. I think veggie smoothies is the way forward. I'm in UK so will research here.

Fatbuddy profile image
Fatbuddy in reply to celticlady

No need to research. Just be creative. No need to buy juicer. Just use locally available fresh vegetables -- mix varieties. Spinach, any greens with leaves, celery, cucumber, squash, --- cut into small pieces after wash. Put in blender, add water, few table spoons olive oil or flax seed oil, one scoop protein powder, splenda or regular sugar to taste. Blend well then strain or add more water if too thick. Try few times and become master.

Good to know. First time heard, thyroid problem does get low sugar.

Carry some sugar tablets or fresh sugar in a plastic small bag in pocket whenever going out, for emergency use.

celticlady profile image

Thanks again for taking the time to detail this. I'll give this a go soon.

celticlady profile image

I always have a banana handy in the car/House and sometimes glucose tablet. Yes thyroid problems often lead to diabetes . Hopefully a way off yet.

Fatbuddy profile image
Fatbuddy in reply to celticlady

Banana not as good. Not enough carbs. Not fast acting. Glucose tablets expensive and become hard after 2 months. Orange juice or coke is good. But fresh sugar is good also.

Activity2004Administrator in reply to celticlady

For raising blood sugar during the day, I use pineapple juice that comes in a 6 oz. can.

Pineapple juice if at home. I carry fresh ground sugar in a small ziplock bag all the times when I go out.

Activity2004Administrator in reply to Fatbuddy

I bring different types of drinks with me if I go outside of the house for a fast blood sugar raise.

celticlady profile image

Just wondered how long after a quick sugar raise should I be having a substantial meal. Still no appetite but get the shakes if don't eat... currently eating very little maybe just inside 4 .2 glucose level. After half peanut butter sandwich and half banana shot up to 8 ... sometimes 7 after couple hours. Any comments welcome I'm not diabetic but currently got possible post COVID palpitations and light headed with no appetite. Have hypothyroidism so can lead to pre diabetes. Many thanks to all who have taken time to answer my questions.

So many recipes available. Veggie smoothies and fruit smoothies. Add protein powder, some co CV donut bbn oil, or bbn olive oil, or flaxseed oil..... for fat.

You may also like...