Accuracy of glucose monitor machines

While an inpatient during my recent liver transplant (11th March 2015) The nurses took over my glucose monitoring ( I'm type 2 diabetic insulin dependent ) I decided to compare my machine with their properly calibrated glucose monitor with mine.  Using the same capillary blood sample I used mine and they used theirs.  The result was so different as to make mine useless and as I decide the insulin dose based on the reading positively dangerous.  The hospital gave me a new machine when I was discharged and when I got home I compared the two - once again the results were very different.  Has anybody else had this problem ? Any suggestions on how to ensure your readings are accurate ?  (ps my transplant was very successful and I'm now fit and well after just 5 weeks )  

6 Replies

• By the way - I've now transferred my diabetes care to the same hospital as the transplant as I will now be attending the transplant clinic for the rest of my life - so it made sense to have everything in one place

• Which one did you have at home already with you?  Which monitor was from the hospital?  Sometimes, different monitors give different results and sometimes they are the same.

• The one I went in with was a Gluclab auto coding model.         IGM -0022 . The one the Royal Free sent me home with was a        BG STAR.

• I compared the two machines and there was a 4 mmol/l difference. 

• At the hospital there was a 9 mmol/l difference between the Glucolab and their system.

• get in touch with the meter companies and ask them to send you standard test solutions. Then follow the instructions and test the meters. Scrap them if they don't comply. I think normally meters have a 10% Accuracy. So comparing 2 meters both being 10% at opposite extremes could show 20% difference between them.

You may also like...