What Should I Do After a Slip Up?

What do you do if you accidentally slip up and eat too many carbs? What can you do to overcome a weight plateau? And what about food cravings during your period?

I slipped up today and ate too many carbs! What to do?

How big of a set back is this going to be? Have I completely undone all the right choices I’ve made over the past five days?

Kristina:

When it comes to falling, we say “fall down seven times, get up eight”. To recover from sugar addiction is trial and error for quite some time. First, a fall is not a failure, it is only a lesson. Sit down with a pen and paper, and think back to the days prior you had your slip or what you like to call it. What could you have done differently?

A book called "Staying Sober", by Terence T Gorski talks about relapse prevention. He writes about alcohol, but sugar and flour are the same if we are addicted. We need to be on the lookout for risky situations (travelling, party, jobs etc.) all the time and know our warning signs (tired, bored, angry etc.) in order to stay ahead. And of course, also stay away from people, places and things (foods) that threatens our sobriety.

Back on the Bus Again:

Any advice on overcoming a plateau?

I have been eating LCHF for five months and did really well the first two months when combined with intermittent fasting. I have kept up the same routine only to have my weight loss stall for over three months now despite sticking to the plan.

I was a type 2 diabetic for a long time – could it be that my body is just taking this long to heal from being insulin resistant?

Deedee:

Hello DeeDee,

We all have plateaus in our struggle for losing weight. It is possible that your body needs a “resting period” for many reasons, not only insulin resistance? If you have not started to slip with your food, I advise you to look at other health factors and ask yourself: Is your sleeping habits okay? Are you stressed about something? Are there any other good tools you need to add? For food addicts, it is important to look at all areas of our health. The physical, psychological, social and spiritual. My experience, is that if food and weight is everything we care about, we will not reach our goals, harmony, serenity, happiness and freedeom.

Cravings During Menstrual Period:

Dear Dr. Jonsson,

I’ve tried the LCHF diet 3 times now. I can do it with no cravings at all during the month, but when I get my period. During that time, my brain just keeps asking for “sugary and floury” things, like pastries, cakes or cookies. I am determined not to let it win this time, but it is really hard. Any recommendations? I really want to sustain this way of life. I feel much better!

Thank you!

Paula

Paula,

You share this problem with many of us female sugar addicts. I am glad to hear that you keep trying. You will succeed. The problem with PMS is that our blood sugar bounces more than usual. I suggest that you take extra B-vitamins and extra B6 and eat the right food but more frequently those days. Also I recommend that you read a great book by a friend of mine, Mia Lundin Nurse practitioner called "Female Brain Gone Insane".

Stay on the bus,

Bitten Jonsson

Last edited by

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • To overcome weight-loss plateaux, increase natural fat intake for one or two weeks each month (to maintain, not regain) so the body doesn't get used to the low calorie intake and try to protect itself from perceived starvation.

• Concerned

But the person is already on lchf diet. Now please tell us what you mean by "increase natural fat intake for one or two weeks each month". I myself have experienced that. After losing 10 kg in last one and half months i have regained 2 kg. Diet being the same more or less. Is that a winter effect?

• The body seeks to keep a constant internal environment (homoeostasis). In order to protect itself, if it perceives there to be insufficient nutrients it will 'turn down' the metabolism to minimise consumption of essential reserves.

The data proves that the vast majority of people that go on a diet regain the weight and more. Therefore, any changes should be enjoyable and for life. If you are able to reach your desired weight, you mustn't return to your old habits.

Having a maintenance break one or two weeks each month, by increasing your natural fat intake, reassures your nutrient sensors that the body isn't starving and that food is available without increasing your protein or carb intake. You can then reassess your energy needs in light of any weight loss along with changes in activity, and easily resume weight loss again after each break.

When you reach your desired weight, increase your natural fat intake as you did for the maintenance break. In this way you are replacing like for like; increasing natural fat intake in place of using body-fat, plus you get the beneficial vitamins and minerals.

Natural fat is fat from something living recently that has received minimal/no processing. An approximate ratio of 60:40 mono-unsaturated to saturated is ideal with only small amounts of EFAs, again mimicking body-fat.

• Concerned

Taking hypocalorie diet doesn't mean compromising with nutrients.

I agree with natural fats but while on lchf diet we take 60% of our calorie needs from "good " fats. Now how much increments in fats do you suggest ? Well is my weight gain due to liberal fats i'm taking ? Or to cheese ?

I think improvements in my D is because of weight reduction. I need to burn my body fats further. There are many D who can't be labeled obese/ overweight but have potbelly. If they do diet management and reduce their waist they can be benefited. Obviously obese or not one has to get rid of visceral fats.

Can you suggest which fat has mufa and sfa in equal proportion or what is your strategy of eating fats that will land up mufa and sfa being equal ?

• Those animals that are closest to our own diet, eating free range, are likely to come closest to our own body-fat.

In practise, eating a combination of foods is likely to be the best strategy - nuts, avocado, olive oil predominantly mono; ghee, coconut, cheese mainly saturated.

Whilst it shouldn't be necessary to count calories, it may be worth doing very occasionally to see if it is evident where any excess comes from?

Have you seen this healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh... ?

• Concerned

If we continue to take eucalorie diet how would our body fats dissolve ? The body fats are stored calories and are used when we are getting less calorie in diet.

I read your post. What if we take more calorie in form of fats ? Will it increase weight ?

• The idea of the what you call the eucalorie diet, by which I think you mean the maintenance diet, is not to lose weight. It is a cyclical phase; weeks of weight-loss are followed by weeks of maintenance to reset the nutrient balance of the body to facilitate subsequent weight loss.

An excess of anything can be turned to fat. The beauty of ingested natural fat is that it is relatively inert, and is the least likely nutrient to result in disturbed metabolism/hunger.

• Concerned

I think you think that once the weight is lost ?? during the weeks of weight loss it would not increase on eucalorie diet. No sir. Body has a setting mechanism. You need to reset that setting to a lower weight. There are many who eat a lot but are not obese. There are multiple factors acting to set your body weight. I think by eating a hypocalorie fully nutrient diet one loses weight but then you need to maintain the diet in such a way that the weight doesn't increase. Even if you take eucalorie diet the weight lost will be regained. Or you have to consume calories by exercise.

• No. I realise the maintenance level of calories will diminish with weight loss if muscle mass isn't increased because less work is being done when less body weight is carried around all day for instance. However, it is necessary to increase intake to a new maintenance level every so often to prevent the body perceiving it is starving. After a week or two weight loss can then be resumed by lowering calorie intake again.

There are many benefits to an optimal carb/higher fat way of eating; losing weight without undue hunger is one.

• Concerned

"However, it is necessary to increase intake to a new maintenance level every so often to prevent the body perceiving it is starving."

Would you please explain ? Do you mean we have to increase calorie intake after we have lost weight ?

Now once we lose weight our energy / calorie requirements decrease because of decreased rmr - resting metabolic rate. So once we lose the weight our calorie requirement decreases. And previous eucalorie diet becomes hypercalorie diet imho.

• If we employ the commonly used 3500 kcal per pound of body-fat for demonstration purposes (although it seldom works in practise), a hypo-caloric diet of 500 kcal deficit per day results in a pound of fat loss per week. Theoretically, if you replace that 500 kcal deficit with natural fat you will maintain.

You're right that metabolic rate may decline, for the reasons we've touched on. What used to be a 1000 kcal deficit per day may eventually become a 500 kcal deficit for example. That is the reason for revising the new maintenance level each month. In this way, along with muscle building, you will reduce any loss of lean tissue.

• Concerned

If you replace the deficit with natural fats 1) it's not hypocalorie diet and 2) why should our body spend the energy reserves if it's provided in diet?

In short i'm of the opinion that to lose weight one has to take hypocalorie hypocarb diet and keep reducing body weight until D is reversed. You can take rest on the way but never allow weight to increase. When the goal is achieved one has to restratezise the diet plan.

• I'm sure you must understand what I'm describing now suramo; you just have a different opinion.

It goes 1) hypocaloric 2) maintenance (to reset set point, prevent homoeostatic over-protection and prevent plateau) 3) re-establish new hypocaloric 4) re-establish new maintenance, and so on.

Of course a calorie is not just a calorie - each macro-nutrient has a different effect; protein has a higher thermic effect that speeds up metabolism for example (and speeding up ageing). Similarly, in tests, rats fed the same amount of calories were fed high-glycaemic or low-glycaemic carbs. The rats fed high Gi gained fat, whereas the rats fed low Gi gained muscle and lost fat.

What improves insulin sensitivity is burning visceral fat, and this is best achieved by preventing it emanating from the liver due to full glycogen stores, as well as keeping insulin levels lower. If you go back to eating how you did originally of course you will regain the weight and eventually the metabolic problems. However, eating at new maintenance levels without an excess of any macro-nutrient will prevent a recurrence.

• Concerned

I think we are saying the same thing but in different words.

Well our set point can't be reset. It's genetically determined imho.

Well we are now in an advanced stages of discussion so whenever we talk it's always a balanced diet that doesn't compromise with nutrients.

One contradictory fact proven by science is that some people are thin because of genes. They have high bmr / rmr so that how much so ever they eat they don't gain weight. So that contradicts with our belief that lower the weight slower the metabolism.

• We disagree about set point; whilst we may have a natural predisposition, eating high-glycaemic foods that weren't a big part of our available food during evolution has thwarted the balance mechanism by disturbing the hormones.

Fructose bypasses the regulatory hormones; in its natural state in sugar cane it's virtually inedible, and again modern advancement has made it so available it's now available in toxic quantities.

The lowering of BMR has been proven by RCTs, whereas the genetic theory of thinness relies on the comparison of identical twins.

I would suggest the vast majority of us have a genetic leaning towards being a healthy weight, just as we are all recognisable as being human, but as implied earlier our modern diet is so out of whack with our digestive system that it can't cope, with uncontrolled appetite being just one symptom.

• Concerned

Our uncontrolled appetite is because of wrong eating habits. As we are consuming too much carbs that too processed like refined flour and since ada aha ama recommend 60-70% energy coming from carbs there are insulin spikes and falls which cause hunger and we tend to use more food and that too sugary food. Our genetic predisposition results into ir and type 2 d.

You may also like...