Doing C25K for the second time

I've been quietly reading what people have to say on here since last Summer so it's about time I came and said thanks for all the support and motivation!

I completed C25K back in September and continued running every other day for a little while after, but then the cold weather really started to get to my asthmatic chest and I was forced to stop.

It was only 3-4 weeks ago that I found out that covering the nose and mouth during runs is a good way to stop cold air getting into your lungs.. It's so simple and seems so obvious now! I only wish that I had discovered this sooner.

So as soon as I could, I got out for a run. I didn't realise I had been out of the game for as long as I had so I just went for one steady run with no walking intervals.. It was tougher than it was when I first competed the program. I had no intention of going all the way back to week1 but then my partner decided to start running as well.. Obviously I recommended C25K and since then, we have been following it together!

So.. the first 6 runs were in snow! That made it a little tough on my legs so even week 1 was a bit of a challenge but I did it! I ran W3R1 yesterday, it was a really pleasant run, even though the last 2 weeks weren't particularly easy. I did feel that I could run for longer now that the track isn't covered in deep snow.. I even saw a couple walking their dogs and didn't stop running as I passed them.. That is always a great feeling!

I am going to continue writing blog posts because I know it is helpful, but also because I have quite enjoyed reflecting on my runs. Last time, I kept a diary of how I felt after each run but from now, I will write it here for all to see!

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome back Istin1 and hubby welcome. Well done you for getting back to it. I'm asthmatic too and was finding this winter a bit harder than last for some reason. I bought a buff to cover my nose and mouth when I first get out there, usually have to push it down once I get going and warmed up but the thing with a buff is they are light weight and dont make you feel too hot. I now swear by them. Keep up the good work and don't forget to let us all know how you are getting on. :)

• I will probably be getting a real Buff now, I just made one to see if it worked first. Do they stay up ok or do you find that it slips down while you're running?

• Yes but you can get them in sizes so if you have a small head perhaps a childs one would be better. Check Amazon & Sports Direct. Not sure where mine came from it was a gift.

• Welcome back! It's lovely to have another blogger - it really does make the whole thing more enjoyable reading everyone else's stories. It's good you've found away to help your asthma. May you enjoy working through c25k together. :)

• Thank you, it's great to be back!

• Hi there, I luck forward to reading your blog. Good luck on finding what you need.

All the best

Dale

You may also like...