One happy bunny ... stamina podcast and 5k milestone all in one go

In a bizarre role reversal I went for a run this morning and left my husband snoring in bed. I'd completed the stepping stones podcast twice (very do-able for recent graduates) and the speed podcast (tough near the end but well within graduate capability) but I was still hell bent on reaching 5k. So decided to try the stamina podcast as I figured that the extra five minutes would help me.

I'd already calculated a 5k route so if I did fall short then I could judge how much more I needed to go. So I set off and the first 30 minutes (ha, who'd thought that was something I could achieve a few months ago) were absolutely fine. I knew I was pushing myself though. And then came the last five minutes ... I did the first 30 seconds or so and thought this is way too fast so slowed off a little as my main aim was to make the 5k.

Well, about 30 seconds later I realised that I had automatically started running to the beat again! My five minutes came to an end but I could see the 5k marker (set of traffic lights :) ) and did not want to stop short there (I fear I may have given away the ending to this tale in my blog title!). So about two minutes later I did it, my first ever running-all-the-way 5k. Yay to the 5k!!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well done !

• Congratulations!

I don't know about you, but I felt at a bit of a loose end after graduating and felt I needed another goal, so I rather rashly decided to go for 10k! I have to say it has been surprisingly easy, I'm doing the sami podcasts whcih is only a 5 week course and I've ready covered 10k in training runs 3 times last week (albiet not a continuous 10k run, but I'm expecting to do that next week. The key for me is only running when it is cool/cold I'm no good running in the heat so I tend to set off about 6:10 in the mornings and get back about 7:20 (when I would previously have been getting out of bed.

Good running :-)

• Well done, it's a great feeling isn't it..I remember the day I nailed my first 5k...bet you are still smiling!

You may also like...