End of week 1

So this morning I did my 3rd week 1 run. Calf muscles still really hurt after about the 4th minute of running. I don't know whether I should do a couple more week 1 runs and so extend the 'week' or move onto week two for my Wed run (which would have been the original plan).

Also decided I definitely need some shoes. Don't even have regular trainers, just a pair of trainerish Clarkes leisure shoes. It was very noticeable today that there is no cushioning on them. Husband was sceptical about me doing this which is why I didn't go and buy anything, but I know it is necessary.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Hi WillowFae. Yes definitely treat yourself to a decent pair of trainers. It will make a huge difference to you physically as well as psychologically! You'll feel like a runner! There are lots of really good sales on just now. I've just completed my second run (week 1) and also experience some calf tightness. I went on to You tube and googled 'yoga for runners' and found a really good 5 minute video for stretching out your muscles after a run. Albeit that I've only done it twice it is already helping! Why don't you try it? The one I tried was from yoga warrior but there are loads. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Have a "shampoo" (you're worth it) moment and get yourself some proper trainers. They'll help avoid injury. If you've got a mean streak then getting value for money out of them will keep you motivated. If you have nerdy tendencies like me you'll do ยฃ/km or ยฃ/min calculations ... very distracting for the gremlins trying to stop you when you're out running. . Nothing like watching hubby's jaw drop when you actually do something they think you'll never finish ...

You may also like...