My first attempt at c25k

Ok....after much badgering from my neice to get in training I am about to do my first run.

Due to my self conscious nature of how I look I am sticking to the treadmill for the time being....hope this isn't classed as cheating!!!

The plan is to do every Tuesday, Thursday and then either a Saturday or a Sunday......I reckon 3 times a week will suffice for now.

I have not downloaded the podcast, but I will see how I get on without it......I wonder if it will work on my phone as I don't have an MP3 player.....will find out later tonight.

Wish me luck and I will be back later to update this, as I think updating a blog will keep me focussed and I will hopefully get hints/tips/encouragement that keep me going.

43 yrs old and 23 odd stone....hope it doesn't kill me!!!

Wish me luck.

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Best of luck. The first week is tough for us couch lovers but worth the effort. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

• Well done for getting started - that's the hardest step! Sounds like you've got it all worked out, and I look forward to follow your progress.

• good luck,

I did all my running on a treadmill so dont worry.

Let us know how you get on.

• Welcome and you will get loads of support here, so let us know how you get on...

well done, you've made the first step!

• Well done for getting started

• Welcome to C25K! Keep us informed on your progress...

• Dead!!!!

Feel like my heart will explode from my chest.

Didn't manage the full 20 minutes in one session :-(

I did my 5 minute walk at 5kph then 12 minutes of alternating 1 minute run and 90 second walk. My run was only at 7kph but i couldn't manage any more.

I took a wee break from the cardio and did some upper body resistance training then went back and did my last 8 minutes.

At least i know what my benchmark is........w1r1 out of the way.....looking forward ti my rest day.

W1r2 on thursday after work.......hopefully manage more than 12 mins.

• Well done!

You might feel 'dead' now but you'll soon feel a lot better, and Thursday's run will be an improvement over this one! My W1R1 ended with me only managing 5 of the 8 'minute' runs, yet my second run saw me doing all 8, and the third run featured an extra run!

It may not seem like a lot, but every time you run, you're building your muscles, your fitness and your stamina! You'll be surprised at how quickly you can progress on the C25K :)

• That's much faster than me! I only did it on the treadmill once (week 2 run 2) but I walked at 4.5kph and 'ran' at 5.4kph. I know it's slow but I want to build up stamina and it's the only way I can last the full 30 minutes. It is a tough programme, I think with I expected it to be easy but it is very challenging, which I guess shouldn't have surprised me. What has surprised me is that I am managing (just about ) to progress! Keep it up! X

• Well done for taking the plunge. We all started somewhere and there's no harm in keeping repeating a week until you feel confident to move on.

Would recommend using the podcasts if you can access them. I tried similar programmes a few years ago just timing myself but it was only using Laura that I cracked it.

• Well done for getting started. I'm sure te next run will be easier and soon you'll feel a surge of energy AFTER your run, and a real sense of achievement. I do my runs outside but skulk around quieter streets hoping I won't see anyone I know...or anyone at all, come to that! From what I read here it's just as effective to use the treadmill. Good luck with it all and keep posting! I'm only starting week 3 tomorrow which I'm slightly apprehensive about...wish me luck!

• Well done for getting up off the couch, I think that's the most crucial move of the whole programme! When I started (for the first time) I only managed 3 of the minutes. There must have been something about getting started that made me think, ' well that's 3 minuets more than I did yesterday', and kept me wanting to crack it. You've already done twice as much as I did first time and now I'm about to start week 3...and added in resistance training you might not otherwise have done. I'm finding I feel stronger as I go along and want to do more exercise, which is having a beneficial effect when I get back on the treadmill. Bet you find the next run that bit easier...keep going :)

• I agree that using the podcasts makes a lot of difference. I use a treadmill too, but I still prefer to have Laura talking me through. Give her a go and I bet you find it an improvement.

• I have week 1 & 2 downloaded and have transferred them to my phone.

Kit bag packed ready for tomorrows session.

I feel pretty good today considering that is the first real exercise I have done in a long time. A few aches in my legs, but mostly its my upper body that is aching from the resistance training.

You may also like...