hitting the wall

a few questions about this total exhaustion and how to get over it.

I graduated today :-) and todays run wasnt too bad but I think it was adrenalin.

The last 3 runs and bike ride yesterday I have got towards this point but managed to keep going as I am very stubborn.

I am nearly 60 and a type 2 diabetic controlled by diet because I am following a healthy diet plan my sugars are well controlled even a little low sde. After excercise they can be under 4 at which point I feel a little unwell but very irritable. Hence the bike ride yesterday was not pleasant in parts for my OH.

I have read that you need protien after running and somewhere else says carbs.

Any ideas on how I can control this to take this running on further at least to get to the 5k in a decent time.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I find if I eat a snack such as a banana immediately after I've run I feel ok. If I eat nothing I feel like I've been hit by a train for pretty much the rest of the day!

If I'm out of bananas I eat a slice of bread with jam or peanut butter.

I hope you find something soon :)

• The diabetes uk web site has some good advice, but you might want to chat to you GP or diabetes nurse.

• If you are going a little low during exercise that would suggest that you might want to eat before exercising - why don't you try eating a banana just before you start exercising. My husband has type two diabetes and, like you, is can go a little low so I understand about the irritation thing! May be some watered fruit juice might be a good thing for when you are running just to try to keep your blood sugar from dipping.

• I've just searched google for you using keywords 'running and diabetes' below is one of the websites returned which might help:

active.com/running/Articles... Site looks ok and authentic with some sound advice.

However nothing beats your doc or nurse - wonder if the NHS website has any info?

Hope this helps :)

• Thanks so much for these answers I will ask the nurse when I see her but havent long been in and dont go unless I have too.

You may also like...